Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good egg day in New Mexico

drbbq
drbbq Posts: 1,152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked in the New Mexico State BBQ Championship yesterday and got third in Chicken and first in Brisket. As usual the eggs were a major attraction at the event. I put my virgin mini where they can play with it, kind of like a bait to keep them away from my Double E table with the two large eggs that are actually doing the cooking. [p]Some old veterans are really starting to take a serious look at my eggs.
Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    drbbq, you're up early then. That is really great news. I think most folks will realize that a BGE doesn't make a good cook. It makes a good cook better (and it makes some of us backyard screw-ups into respected neighborhood Que'ers). I'd like to think it took you from 4th to 3rd and 2nd to first. Congratulations to you!

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    drbbq,[p]That sounds like you had a great showing! Way to go!
  • Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Doc, how bout sharing your prep and cooking technique for the brisket and chicken.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    drbbq,[p]Don't let them scrutinize your eggs too closely..... it starts to get personal, ya know?[p]Congratulations on your showing! [p]John

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Forgot to say congratulations.
  • BamaBob,[p]I shouldn't speak for Ray. However, because I'm sure he's on the road again by now, I'm sure I know his answer (see link).[p]Rod
    [ul][li]The answers to your question.[/ul]
  • Jawjajoe
    Jawjajoe Posts: 51
    BamaBob,[p]I second Bob's request for pic's and how to's.[p]And yes a hearty congrats to your great day bb'quing![p]Joe
  • Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    drbbq,[p]Congratulations. After tasting your brisket in Lakeland, I can see why it would deserve top honors. Looking forward to seeing you again.[p]I am glad that the BBQ world is starting to accept the BGE.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    drbbq, congratulations...And I can remember the days back when, on the Basso forum, we eggheads were the bait...fun days. Again congratulations. Question, could you have done the same with a gray colored cooker?
    Top BBQ to ya friend Ray..
    C~W[p]

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Ray,[p]A hard act to follow when you hook a great cook and cooker together.[p]Congrats on the honor... Well deserved!

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    drbbq,[p]Congrats! Are you doing any Texas BBQ cookoffs?[p]How bout a picture of the Double E table with the eggs.[p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Way to go, Ray! Sounds like that brisket is a keeper!!! See you in few weeks![p]Jim
  • Wardster
    Wardster Posts: 1,006
    drbbq,
    Glad the one judge was not there. Good job, now come home and feed me!

Apollo Beach, FL
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    newbrisket.JPG
    <p />Hey Ray, first of all, congratulations. Second, how do you do your briskets? I did only my second one a couple of weeks ago and was pretty pleased, but I don't think I could have won any BBQ competitions with it. Just wanted to pick the brain of a "brisket champion." [p]Incidentally, the one above was a 5.5 lb flat cooked indirect for about 10 hours at 250 dome temp. I rubbed it inside and out with Dizzy Cow Lick, and tied it back to together with tooth floss (the only thing I could find at the time). It was really good, tender, but a little on the drier side.[p]Thanks for your help![p]TRex
  • drbbq
    TRex,[p]Well I think I'm going to try to collect a few more of those $800 checks before I put my brisket technique on the internet, but here's a tip.[p]It's not very similar to that.[p]Thanks for all the kind words guys.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Hi Ray,[p]Congratulations! Wish I were there running interference and serving up chicken legs with ya! That brisket of yours is out of this world and is definitely #1 material...[p]Looking forward to seeing you again soon...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• drbbq
    QBabe,[p]I sure could have used you. As usual the eggs drew a lot of attention. I'll post a pic of the Double E table when I get one. It's just a typical BGE pine table. Just beefed up a little.
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • TRex
    drbbq,[p]Fair enough. Maybe you can answer one question, then: what finishing temp do your recommend for brisket?[p]TRex
  • drbbq
    TRex,[p]Normally around 190 but it has a lot to do with the feel and how the cook has gone. If it's been the right time and temp all night and all seems well I will take them off at 190 with the intention of resting for about four hours.[p]The cooking will continue in the holding box. I cook large whole briskets. I don't know how well this would work with a small flat. I'd probably wrap it early in the cook so it wouldn't dry out.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • TRex
    drbbq,[p]Thanks. That's really good information. I'm definitely going to try the wrap method next time.[p]TRex
  • GrillMeister
    drbbq,[p]I did a whole packer trimmed brisket yesterday. I pulled it off at 190, wrapped in foil and it rested in a cooler for a couple hours. As I figured, the skinny part came out a bit dry, but the thick part (where my thermometer was) came out nice and juicy.[p]I've never encountered this problem as I have always smoked flats which where fairly consistant in thickness & fat cap.[p]Do you have any tips on keeping all of a whole brisket juicy?[p]Thanks!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • TRex
    GrillMeister,[p]I am by no means the brisket guru, but I have heard a lot of people say that they just pull the skinny part of the brisket off the Egg before the thicker part. Maybe use two thermometers . . . [p]TRex
  • GrillMeister
    TRex,[p]Yep, I think two thermometers and cutting the skinny part separate is the way to go.[p]It sure was fun stuffing a 20 inch brisket on a 18 inch grid. :) The nice thing was when it was finished it fit nicely on the egg.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas