Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do all of you clean your grill

Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
All, how do you get your grill perfectly clean? I know there have been posts on this before, but I don't remember what you all have said. Even after a good scrubbing, I still have spots of dried food stuff. I know it may be harmless, but it bothers me.

Comments

• davidm
    davidm Posts: 64
    Peggy,[p]I've found that putting a cup of ammonia in a large plastic bag with the grill, then letting it sit closed in the sun for several hours loosens everything so that it can be rinsed off nicely with a garden hose.[p]This may not work well at this time of year if you are still knocking the frost off your Topsiders, but it works like a champ when the weather's a little warm.
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Peggy,
    Heat. 1000 dome temp for 10-15 minutes cleans anything inside.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Peggy, first you need the right pan...buy yourself a round garbage can lid at a hardware store for a couple bucks. That will strattle and protect your sink yet be shallow to soak your grate. Hot soapy water does the trick for me.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Peggy,
    I learned a trick at the first annual Florida Q-fest. Spray the grid with Pam before cooking. When finished cooking, I watched Mr. Hyde wipe a grid clean in a flash. When asked how new the grid was, I was shocked to hear it had been cooked on some 100+ times. It still looked brand new.[p]Of course, mine was already completely used before I got my egg used. I opted for the 600 degree burn for 1 hour method. [p]Banker John

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    banker john, LOL - as an ex-banker myself for 27 years I can relate to the old "burn that problem so it will know what to expect next time! and the next time and the..."
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Peggy,[p]The trashcan birdbath in the sink works great for me - hot water and detergent with a ten minute soak to loosen the big chunks, then soak for another ten minutes and go back and finish washing the grate. [p]A heavy stainless (commercial style) scrubby works great for the chunky stuff, and a soft kitchen sponge for the final wash works great.

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Peggy,
    I spray my grid with pam before the cook then use stainless steel wool for the clean up followed by a rub down with a paper towel just to ge the black stuff off.
    I tried the 1000 deg burn off method and it burned off the porcelin coatin on the grid so beware that the newer grids are prone to damage from excessive heat

• Peggy,
    I usually just leave mine on the egg the next time I cook. I let it warm up to about 300 and then scrap it off with a procelin grid cleaning brush that I bought at Sears. It cleans right up after its warm.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Peggy,[p]We spray ours with Pam before each cook, then when it's time to clean-up, we use Dawn or another good degreasing detergent and a scrubbie-sponge (the ones with the green stuff on one side and a sponge on the other). They clean up very well and its relatively easy to do. [p]Tonia
    :~)

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Clean the grill??? [p]Mmmm - crusted protein good... <g>
  • Peggy,
    Great question Peggy! I don’t normally post here but this subject needs a good answer. It is one I’ve also questioned myself and I’ve been wondering about and working on myself. I’m not completely satisfied with any of the answers posted here so far. A very high heat cook off after your primary cook may help clean the grid but that takes extra time as well as burning much more of your lump charcoal just to clean up. I’ve spent an hour on trying to clean my grid to it’s brand new status after a cook that was left in the smoker overnight. That’s a whole lot of work that I think should be is unnecessary. I think you should saturate the grid well on both sides with spray oil before each cook and also let the grid heat up before placing the meat on it. Maybe a quick clean up with a wire brush and soapy water before it gets really stuck on would be good directly after the cook, but that’s not very convent when we are all ready to sit down and eat. I may invent a scraper that is tailored and custom made for each grid size to scrape deep, wide and quick. Steel Brillo/SOS Pads work well too but they are too time consuming and messy. I too like a very clean, near new like grid each time I cook and I‘m still looking for a quick and more simple solution to it all.

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    No one has suggested attaching the grids to ski/bike racks on your car then driving through the car wash! How bout those do-it-yourself high pressure cleaners for your car?
    :)