Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza crust help from QBabe or others using Mr. Hydes dough recipe

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made the dough as specified and let it rest over night uncovered as the directions stated. The dough was dried out on the outside and hard to work with. Should I have covered it before letting it rest. I seem to really struggle to make a pizza dough that is workable when it comes time to roll it out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I just read the recipe (haven't made it), and it seems to me that if you're proofing in the refrigerator you'll need some kind of covering so the dehumidifier won't dry out the dough. I'd use plastic wrap or just a plastic bag laid over the dough.[p]Gluten strands form in dough and have to be stretched. When "they get as long as they are comfortable with" the dough starts to pull back. What works best for me, when this happends, is to flip the dough over rotating it 90 degrees. Have a pull on your beverage of choice and only then begin to roll again. You're coaxing the strands; trying to force them to stretch results in tough dough.[p]HTH
    Ken

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I called Mr Hyde today about this, as I noticed the crust that had formed the last time. He said it is normal, and it really improves the final product. He recommends pushing the crusty stuff toward the center a little, then rolling it out. The sauce goes right on the crusty stuff.[p]I had heard in the past that the drying out of the dough is not desireable, but the crust I did using Mr Hyde's recipe last time was the best dough I have ever made. I have 3 more balls proofing uncovered in the fridge right now....and I feel a lot better since Larry told me that the drying out is both normal, and even improves the final result. I think I have finally found the perfect crust recipe I have been looking for. The roasted garlic, and RG infused olive oil really puts the pie over the top.[p]Much thanks to Larry for sharing what he has learned over many years.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    Well, another way to do it is how Alton Brown did in his show. Add a little oil to a bowl, add the dough, roll around to coat and then cover with plastic wrap. But that is what is so great about pizza, you have to try all these variations and then eat them! :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]Yes, as Chris said, the crusty stuff is a good thing. I don't completely understand the science of it, but I know that the dough is better after getting the crusties on it. Back in my pizza shop days, the dough wasn't considered "ready" until it has sat for three days. We would make big trays of the dough balls, and stack the trays staggered, so that all fo the dougballs got good and crusty. This dough seems to be just right with an overnight proofing, and the three days pretty much kills it.[p]When you take the doughball off of the tray, break up the crust with your fingertips, king of pushing it toward the center, allowing the uncrusted dough underneath to come to the outside of the circle. that way when you roll it, the outside is elastic, and doesn't crack. [p][p]
  • MerlinEgger
    Options
    Mr. Hyde,
    How large a disc do you pat out when you let it proof? And thanks to all for your replies. Good info.

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde Posts: 99
    Options
    MerlinEgger,
    I just kind of press it down with light pressure, it usually ends up about 1-2 inches high, and about 4 inches across.[p]Enjoy.[p]LArry

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Thanks Mr. Hyde,[p]All of your dough info of the last few weeks has been going into the master pizza file.
    The new platesetter and pizza stone are still pearly white..... but I can feel a Mr. Hyde pizza coming on soon![p]See you in a few weeks,
    John[p]

• MerlinEgger,
    Where can I find Mr. Hyde's dough recipe ?[p]Thanks[p]Dan