Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1:48 PM Forum Check

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning Eggheads…

It wasn’t your usual brick and stone, moat-surrounded fortification but we did design it with high-level security in mind. We even included a separate area where occupants could do their business, with the results dropping far below the main gathering room and into the naturally outward-sloping terrain, or even on the enemy if they didn’t watch it. There were two ‘out-towers’ we called them where defenders could observe the far horizon for possible intruders along with an arsenal of weaponry that could be dispatched with tremendous accuracy and effect. The main egress point was designed for routine transit during times of tranquility but easily and quickly closed off and defended by only one lightly armed protector when the others were out gathering supplies from the surrounding area. Nuts and berries were plentiful within a short distance. And we had a wide range of beverages to keep us well lubricated.

Yes, we had pretty much thought of everything. Except, we had to be home before dark or our parents would start to worry. And it was a long bicycle ride down the hill and to the street.

Otis lived closer but his Mom would “ring his neck” if he came home after dark. My Mom just took it in stride, knowing I was ‘out there’ some place having a good time. After all, I was ten and old enough to take care of myself.

The next morning both of us, Otis and me, would be back up there on the hill, high up in our tree-fort hammering and nailing, stringing rope lines and eating whatever we could load in our pockets from breakfast or sometimes from my Daddy’s store. We never gave it any thought that nobody had a clue as to where we were in those woods, or that we spent most of our day walking around on tree limbs at least 20 feet off the ground. No time for that kind of soft stuff for hardened woodsmen with a mission.

So here I was swaying back and forth standing on the out-stretched limb (I mean out-stretched toilet) getting ready to let loose a large accumulation of excess Nehi-Orange drink into the wind when suddenly I was alerted to a real-life danger about to happen if I did not extract myself from the charging station and proceed with great vigor to the abode’s maintenance department. Which I did without missing a beat and with my usual level of success.

Otis is dead now. Has been for a long time, but I’m sure that if all they tell us is true about the after-life, he will occasionally think back to that fort and the times we had there.

Perhaps now I can return to the charging station and gently move back into dreamstate where I left off. That would be a good thing.

But first a check of the Forum to measure the intensity of activity. All is well. There are 27 Members and 389 Guests flit’n about or gathering information. Apparently, there was also some type of athletic event. But I will leave it to them to discuss those matters.

Say goodnight Leroy.

Spring “A Good Fort Is Necessary To Any Ten-Year Old Boy” Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments