Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The need for instant read

Options
No Flo Rome
No Flo Rome Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After 6 years of egging, I now have need for an instant read thermometer. I saw some for about $20 at our higher end Kitchen and Restaraunt supply store here in Tally. Whats the difference between those and the ones used my a great many of you fellow eggers. -r

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The cheaper ones are instant read but not instant results. They begin to read instantly, but don't get to the actual temperature for 10, 15, or even 20 seconds. The reading climbs slowly until it gets to the actual temp.

The thermapen gets that final reading in 2-3 seconds. This is a big difference when you're holding it over searing temp lump, or trying to take temperatures in multiple locations (like poultry).
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hey Rome,

ThermoWorks products have proved themselves over and over. Rarely do you hear of any problems with them, they are accurate and read very fast. Most have the Thermapen, the new one is a splash proof model. You can get a price break either from our member Mollyshark who usually has them or call the company and ask if they have any refurbished models.

Good luck and keep warm,

Gator

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I bought over a hundred dollars worth of cheap instant read thermometers before I bought the Thermapen.

Cheap instant reads - inaccurate and about 6 to 10 seconds = instant.

Thermapen - very accurate and instant is instant, 2 seconds.

Don't go through what I went through, I could have had two Thermapens.

GG
  • Clam
    Clam Posts: 117
    Options
    I recommend for anyone that will use it, to treat themselves to a thermapen. I'm glad I have one.

My little dial thermometers were pretty inaccurate and a pain compared to the thermapen.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    "After 6 years of egging, I now have need for an instant read thermometer. I saw some for about $20 at our higher end Kitchen and Restaraunt supply store here in Tally. Whats the difference between those and the ones used my a great many of you fellow eggers. -r"

About 13 seconds.

• No Flo Rome
    Options
    Thank you all for the help. I like the last one especially; "about 13 seconds!"

How much are the thermapens?

I really need one now. -r
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
  • RedBag
    RedBag Posts: 72
    Options
    I had my egg for 5 years before I bought a thermapen. I can remember thinking folks were crazy spending ~$80 for an instant read. I have had mine for about a year now and wish I had bought it sooner. I use it all the time because it is so easy (fast) to use. Just one example-I’ll take several readings in a chicken to be sure it’s cooked the way I want it. I would never do that before because it was too much bother. It’s made me a better cook.
    Even if you have a quality knock off that would read in 6-8 seconds it’s not the same. If you’re like me when you read something like that you think what is the big deal about an extra 3 or 4 seconds? But in actual practice those extra few seconds are a big deal especially when you are going to take multiple readings over a hot grill.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    i agree. santa brought me one this year and i already don't know how i survived without it!
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    What GG said. I wasted some money on cheap-o's before I got the Thermapen. I recommend it and won't buy any other brand if I ever need to replace it.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    One of these days, I'll buy a thermapen. Until then, the $15 unit I have works just fine, and has for about 5 years now. It does take longer to read, but it works, and is a very good option for those of us who can't, or don't want to spend $80-$100 on a thermometer.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Once you finally get a Thermapen you'll be kicking yourself for not getting one earlier. I recently cleaned out my kitchen gadget drawer and found several digital and dial instant reads I'd bought through the years. They went in the trash, compared to the Thermapen, they don't work. I have a backup Thermapen just in case I have a problem with one. -RP
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Sorry to be contrarian today, but I've seen a couple claims in this thread that slower thermometers are a waste of money, or don't work, and it bothers me a little. I'm not taking it as a personal offense, but I don't think it's good, objective advice. Yes, there are advantages to a faster thermometer, but that doesn't render an inferior thermometer useless or worthless.

Not everyone can afford to, or have a desire to spend that much on a thermometer. For those of us in that category, a $15 digital thermometer is a good value. It reads the temperature accurately. Mine has proved to be durable and long-lived, and I have gotten much use out of it. I consider it to be very well worth the $15 I spent on it 5 years ago. I haven't bought six or seven, I bought one, and pocketed the other $85 I didn't spend on a Thermapen.

I'm sure I'll be very happy when I do decide to purchase a Thermapen, and once I've gotten used to the quick results, I won't want to go back to a slower model, but I don't consider it a waste to have spent $15 on a thermometer.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Ben,

I have a pen and recently got a 30 dollar unit that is small and waterproof. It is much slower, but I figured out that if you get the tip warmed up a bit (in the daisy hole) you will cut the food measuring time down to a couple seconds.
  • gregegg
    gregegg Posts: 68
    Options
    The big advantage of a really quick read, to me, is that you can tell when you are in the coolest part of the cook (fish, chicken, beef etc.) very easily.

With the grilling side towards the fire, start reading from the 'cooler' side. The temp drops as you go further into the food. As soon as the temp begins to climb again you have gone a little too far: back out a smidgen and that's the 'cool center'.

Could not do that with any earlier instant read (digital or dial) that I've had, the slower response made it impossible for me.

Greg
  • MileHighMatt
    Options
    As mentioned here before, you can pick up a refurbished thermapen for $50. It cost $56 to w/shipping to Denver. Older model, but still works like a champ!

You just need to call and talk with Kevin:

Kevin Owen
    ThermoWorks, Inc.
    Ph. 801-756-7705

Matt
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Go with the thermapen if you can swing the $. If you truly can't others have offered ways to use the other models.
  • No Flo Rome
    Options
    Thank you all again for the insight. Seems to me that I need to run everything by this forum before I make a decision on anything food! Thanks a million, NoFlo-R