Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

green egg...

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Folks,[p]I'm thinking of getting grill from sams club that has the green egg "built in". this may be a stupid question, but can you use gas with this or is it defeating the purpose?[p]thx.[p]Aceman

Comments

• BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    Aceman,
    I've seen that grill at the local Sam's. As an owner of a large Egg, I can tell you that the gas grill would be an expensive table for your Egg.
    To answer your question...no you don't use gas with an Egg.
    BTW...anyone else noticed that the Sam's club model is VERRRY hard to access the lower vent? Doesn't seem like you would get any air flow at all.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Aceman,
    honestly speaking, it is a beautiful unit, but really not pratical. It will cost you an additional couple hundred dollars a year to keep the stainless unit clean and shiny.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Take this to the bank, Ace. Go out and buy 2 large Eggs and 1 small one. You will have plenty of money left over for meat and you will wonder how in the world you never tasted food this good before. The stainless is a waste of metal and money. Almost everyone here has either gone back and purchased another Egg or plans to do so at some point. That should tell you all you need to know![p]Frosty Ones!
    Jim

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    BucsFanJim, there seems to be a newer unit on the market now with full access and lots of air to spare.

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Aceman,I have a beautiful stainless grill that was a gift. Two weeks later I got an Egg, tasted the food cooked on the "Egg", and have never used the stainless grill in the two years since. The Egg is the greatest device ever invented...[p]
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Aceman,[p]Just another opinion, but I would not but the grill at Sam's. I would recommend buying a Large BGE and if you want a nice looking stainless steel gas grill, look at the Weber Genesis stainless steel. It will look nice on your patio, I don't think you will use it. I bought one (stainless steel gas grill) before I bought my egg. The food tasted the same as from my $110 walmart special that was three years old. What a waste of $$ for me.[p]Anyway, just my 2 cents.[p]Smokey

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Aceman,
    what a lot of these guys are saying is that nearly every one of us has found that the egg outperforms any gas grill, top of the line of otherwise.[p]read some of the stuff on the egg, and you might be convinced. but that's not your question.[p]no, you don't use gas with the egg. sam's is offering a unit that does both, though i think they are selling it as a smoker in addition to the grill.[p]that said. it appears the way the built the table that they don't truly understand how the egg works. the top and bottom vents are used to adjust temps, and you can't DO that with the table the way it is. you can't even SEE the bottom vent.[p]honestly, though, and not to beat a dead horse, you CAN NOT cook anything faster or better on a gas grill. a gassser can't begin to approach the high temps of an egg for grilling, and cannot hold the lows either, for bbq.[p]there might be a hint of judgement in some of these posts, but at the bottom of it they are correct. the money you'd pay buys a gas grill, alot of stainless, and a small egg.[p]you could buy a large egg, and i will wager you'd NEVER miss the gasser. Never. i DO have a gas grill, as do many of these guys. and i DO use it with my egg. no kidding, it is what we store all our accessories in.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Smokey,[p]I bought the $800 stainless gas grill from Costco and then took it back and bought my first large BGE. Costco has great customer service!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Aceman,
    Can't have too much advice if it is all the "right" advise, so my advice to you is: listen to all that's been said and forget the gasser...I am another one that has an old gasser and plan to give it away or take it to dump to get it out of my way.

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Options
    Aceman,
    My kids have turned the Weber into a spider habitat. Since I bought my large Egg I have used it once, to sear a roast. And that was before I learned how to get the temp down from 1000 degrees to 400 in about 15 minutes. [p]Now, aside from the kids science experiments, I use it to store accessories.[p]This from a guy who paid $600 to have a gas line run to the deck.