Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Pulled Pork and Briskit

Smokin' Padre
Smokin' Padre Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Any advice out there on what is the best method to heat up pork that was pulled the day before as well as briskit that was cooked but not sliced the day before? I'm cooking both for a Sunday lunch group but am having to do the cooking on Saturday. A friend is going to heat them up for me during Sunday services and therefore I'd like to be able to give him some direction.

I'm looking forward to cooking on the BGE (large) that I got this Christmas. Unfortunately, it did not come with the instructional DVD (the dealer was out) and it's going to be about two more weeks before they get them. Ah, well. Patience is a virtue...sometimes...

Thanks in advance for any advice! :woohoo:

Comments

• Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    When cooking pork butts ahead of time I leave them whole then reheat and pull just before serving.

They stay moist that way. Just heat in a 200 degree egg or oven for a couple hours before pulling.
  • Hmmm. Hadn't thought of asking him to pull the thing himself. That's a good idea.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Pulled pork. If you find your pork dry add 12 oz coke (no diet stuff). Add about 1/2 can then add as needed. Heat anyway you want, crock pot is works well or back on the egg.

This cook had coke added as well as some Baby Ray's. The was cooked specifically for a get-together and serving BBQ Sandwiches and turned out fantastic. A lot of 'how did you do this'.

barbacoa1.jpg

barbacoa2.jpg

GG
  • Pulled pork has a tendency to dry out quickly, so what Kent said about using a Coke is what I do too. I use that when I need to add moisture. I have two ways that I reheat.

If it is more than a day out before serving, I package with the Food Saver and refrigerate until almost serving time. Particularly if I am serving more than a couple of butts. I reheat in simmering water on the stovetop. Clip and serve.

If it is same day or next day and only a couple of butts, I will put the pork in an aluminum half pan (a couple dozen are about $7 at Sam's, same as I use for drip pans) and cover tightly with HD foil, then pop into a 200-220 degree oven until warmed through.
    Best,
    WA
  • Pulled pork has a tendency to dry out quickly, so what Kent said about using a Coke is what I do too. I use that when I need to add moisture. I have two ways that I reheat.

If it is more than a day out before serving, I package with the Food Saver and refrigerate until almost serving time. Particularly if I am serving more than a couple of butts. I reheat in simmering water on the stovetop. Clip and serve.

If it is same day or next day and only a couple of butts, I will put the pork in an aluminum half pan (a couple dozen are about $7 at Sam's, same as I use for drip pans) and cover tightly with HD foil, then pop into a 200-220 degree oven until warmed through.
    Best,
    WA
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Whole or pulled, just be sure to observe good food safety and chill it quickly after the resting and/or pulling period so you don't let it sit around vary long below the 140 degree level that bacteria loves...