Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Temp has been holding steady at 250 for

bamarobbamarob Posts: 46
edited 10:01AM in EggHead Forum
9 hours on the butt. Meat temp is 170. Should I let it go to 195-200? This is my first butt cook and it smells amazing. I can't wait to pull it and give it a taste.

• Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,769
  • AngelaAngela Posts: 461
    absolutely yes
  • Or even 205, it will start to move quicker once it gets out of the plateau.

• boehmerboehmer Posts: 23
    if you are going to make pulled pork out of it.
    i found it better to go to 195 then take it off wrap it in foil and let it rest in a cooler for about a hour..
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Hold on to your socks cause your gonna love this stuff. I don't know if anyone else does this but I use rub that has a lot of granulated brown sugar in it. On occasion I have shredded some up pork and sprinkled some more rub on it. Shredded pork fresh off the egg or after the rest is the best! :P Enjoy. Tim
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,990
    yep, your past the half way point :)
  • Yes. It's not about how long it's been on. The point of cooking 'low and slow' is to break down the collagen in the meat, which happens starting in the 150-170ish range, hence the 'plateau' that you'll see discussed. Until that process is complete, the collagen will continue to hold the meat together, making it tough and not suitable for pulling. Leave it until it hits 195, and you'll complete that process.

Patience is a virtue. :)

• 9 hrs? You still have a few to go. My last ones took 18 hrs. :ohmy:
  • SteveinTNSteveinTN Posts: 224
    Sounds great
    I cooked 16lbs this weekend. It was GREAT. In the past i often get right into some when i remove it from the egg at 200. But the right thing to do is cover in foil in cooler for about an hour. then pull.
    You will love this stuff!
    - steve