Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gizzards

Options
CampCook
CampCook Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Call me strange but I really like gizzards but have never cooked them except incidental to doing a chicken. I thought about experimenting on the egg. I started by looked in archives without success. Thought I might save some time by asking the learned ones on the forum for some advice. Anybody got any???

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    CampCook, I'm like you,I like wierd stuff. I posted a while back on smok'in liver and got 14 responses lambasting me for even looking at liver. No one had ever cooked it on the egg, from what I gather... GIZZARDS... not a prayer of a response...Let me know if you try it ; how , results, etc

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Options
    CampCook, I believe gizzards need to be cooked either fast/fried or slow with liquid or they will become dry and VERY tuff. Maybe try with a gravy like a stew and slow simmer - that might be good.

• Wingnut
    Wingnut Posts: 26
    Options
    CampCook,[p]I like to cook the gizzards in foil with butter, salt, pepper, and garlic.
    Just something to munch on before the main dish is done. [p]Wingnut

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Options
    Thanks folks. Think I will get s couple pounds and start experimenting. Some hot and dry, some slow and wet.[p]Dave
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    I usually boil them in a little water for a couple of minutes and give them to my dog. :)
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Wingnut,
    Like you I do the same, but add chopped or sliced yellow onion for falvor. I usually saute in a cast iron pan, but imagine you can put them out there in the old bge and leave the foil open so some smoke flavor can get into the gizzards. Can't imagine the'll take too long to cook. Joe

• MerlinEgger
    Options
    CampCook,
    My brother and I cooked some of these on the grill once and ended up using them to play catch. Can you say chewy???

• CampCook,
    A friend of ours with a Mexican Restaurant gave us a sample of her and her husbands lunch one day when we were finishing our order of fajitas and it was a dish of Gizzards and I have always liked them suckers...I eat just about any of that musical meat...she cooked it in a pot and included a typical sauce which consist of dried guajilio peppers that had been roasted , then soaked in hot water 30 min (if there is time a lot longer is better), then strain them into a blender where you will put seeded tomatoes, garlic, and onion, and blend. All you needed to do when their ready is have some hot tortillias ready and chow down.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    CampCook,[p]Dave:[p]I guess I'm strange, too, but I really like them deep fried with Ken Stone's Happy Pappy Sauce. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.[p]Mike