Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisketeers...question for you...

Options
Bama Chad
Bama Chad Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've only done 1 brisket, and doing another tomorrow for the game. I like to cook the opposing team..ribs for Arky, corndogs for LSU, duck for Aubarn, you get the idea ;) . I respect the 'horns so going to do them right...

OK, so picked up a 6 lb packer, i know not very big, but it's what it is...so your suppose to cut flat against the grain..so tell me which way is the grain going here? figured this would be best way to know for sure and get your guidance.

1st 2 pics, are fat side up, point to the left, grain looks to be north to south?

2nd 2 pics, reverse side, fat side down, grain looks to be east to west..I assume this is correct direction of grain but just wanted to get some opinions...my brisket knowledge is limited are far as actual cooking, but have researched a bit on the sites...

seems like both sides contradict each other...

DSC_0108.jpg

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    The point and flat are two separate muscles, and the grain of the point runs perpendicular to the grain of the flat.

Grain doesn't really matter much on the point. Cut yourself a notch in the direction of the grain on the flat so you know how to slice it when it's done. In those bottom photos the grain is running east-west. Cut a v-shaped notch in the right side, and you'll know to slice the flat across that notch.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Yea, it's ugly....but it makes the point and I'm lazy tonight.

Brisket.jpg
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    Man Fidel that was lazy. :P :woohoo: :P :woohoo: :P :woohoo:
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    Fidel, thx for the visual. That's what I had figured, but I didn't expect the point to run that far down the entire piece of meat..if that makes sense. I was thinking it was smaller.
  • Fidel
    Options
    Well, I've never seen a 6 pound packer.

Maybe you have a tiny little alien cow with a weird anatomy.
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    That sure looks like a flat to me. Packers are larger and you can easily see the two muscles.
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    There are not that many but I got one a long time ago and when I used to pump them for St. Paddy's day I would come across a few small ones but we did a couple thousand pounds of them.

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09750a.jpg

I'm with Buster on this one..... you just have a nice flat. The brisket in my picture is a flat also, and has a notch like Fidel mentioned. You don't want to go too small on the notch because of the shrink.... if it's too small you can't find it. Here is what the grain looks like in the slices themselves.

Brisketgrain.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else, but for me as a newbie egger/smoker, this is a highly educational thread!
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    Thx for the info...let you know how it turns out.
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    and a butcher who doesn't know what he is talking about. Although he didn't cut it I don't think, and it was the only one in the case. Next time I'll know...

but still..so why does it have 2 different grains? wouldn't both sides be going in same direction if it's a flat?

If it helps, I got this Fresh Market, primal brisket. Doesn't say just flat, which is what I usually see on them. Of course, it did come from FM so they can do what they want..
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Aside from evidently mis-labeling their brisket, how do you like Fresh Market? We have one opening nearby this spring.

-John
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    They are nice but expensive and overpriced IMHO...
  • Fidel
    Options
    Excellent fish department and good meat selection. Produce is above any outside of farmer's markets.

Pricey, but you get what you pay for sometimes. You just have to know what you're buying and you'll be fine. They carry a lot of grocery items and brands you won't find in the mainstream chain stores.
  • Bama Chad
    Options
    I like fresh market, but main reason we go is it's closest place to us besides publix. It can be pricey, but like Fidel said, you get what you pay for, usually at least. I live in Buckhead so it's all pricey around here anyway.

Brisket is the only meat already in cryovac, usually the rest is out in the open.
  • Fidel
    Options
    The Fresh Market up on PIB in Suwannee has trimmed brisket loose in the meat case. Interesting they are so different in the same general area.