Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick roast chicken?

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A few weeks ago The Washington Post had an article in their Food section about quickly roasting a small chicken. It was a pretty simple method - take a 3-5 lb chicken, rub ths skin with butter or oil and salt and pepper, and roast in (on a rack, over a drip pan) for 45 minutes-1 hour at a high temp. (I believe arond 450). The article said that since the chicken is small it won't dry out, and the fat will also help keep it moist. I wish I saved the article.[p]Has anyone ever tried this in the Egg? I'm thinking it might work with a drip pan on a pizza stone at 450. with maybe just once chunk of wood. Giant has chickens on sale this week for something like $.55/lb. I might try this soon. Any suggestions on doing this?

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    BluesnBBQ, No problem..do it!! I have went higher yet in temperatures, but monitor closely and do it indirect.
    C~W[p]

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    BluesnBBQ,
    I tried this ages ago, pre-Egg, and it made a rather spectacular smoky mess in the oven (from splatters) that was smoked up the kitchen again when I ran the oven cleaning cycle later. I think this recipe would be perfect in the Egg. The flavor was quite good, but because it was a small bird, we devoured it very quickly and wished for more! Hope you're dining alone, No, I don't mean that the way it sounded! How's this instead...prepare lots of side dishes![p]I think I may have archived the recipe; I'll check.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    BluesnBBQ,
    Here's the recipe which, if not exactly the same, must be pretty close. I checked the date on my file, and it was 1994! Yikes. Adapt for the Egg, of course. Would probably do well on a vertical poultry roaster with the drip pan set on a stone.[p]The Ultimate Roasted Chicken
    (according to National Public Radio’s All Things Considered)[p]One whole chicken, just under three pounds
    Garlic and fresh herbs; amount is up to you.
    suggested herbs include marjoram, basil, sage, thyme[p]Tuck fresh herbs and garlic under the skin on the breast. [p]Cover the bird with a liberal amount of coarse salt and a lesser amount of pepper, and refrigerate overnight.[p]Preheat the oven as high as it will go, around 500°.[p]Roast uncovered a total of 25–35 min. For about the last 10 minutes, flip the bird over on the breast side to brown. Tip the pan; if the juices run clear, it’s done.[p]Let rest for 5 minutes and carve.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Gretl,[p]Thanks! I hope to try it this weekend. If it works, I'll try it again with a brined bird.[p]-Steve

• BluesnBBQ,I did a chicken this last weekend. I brined it and cooked on a setter over a drip pan at 350. It was a 4.5 lb. bird and took about 1.5 hours or so. Rubbed the skin with oil and sprinkled with lemon pepper. It was the best chicken I ever ate. I believe it was the brining that made the difference.

• Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I find a 4# chicken cooks in about an hour at 350* in the BGE. This is using a chicken sitter.[p]Fritz