Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So. Ill recipe Summer Sausage

NoVA Bill
NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For all you deer slayers making summer sausage probably ain't no big deal but for me to make my wife's side of the family receipe is starting a new tradition in our household - so I was bit pumped - especially with No. 2 son manning the crank handle on the stuffer.

For all you eggheads from So. Ill, take a look at the name on the seasoning bag: Behrman's. I believe the butcher shop is in Albers, IL (had in-laws mail me enough seasoning, salt and casings for 100lbs of ham).

This recipe calls for 100% fresh ham and normally is hung in a cool place for three to five weeks to dry out the sausage. I'll try smoking mine later today.

Getting all the stuff together
IMG00016-1.jpg
Seasoning and pink salt from So. ILL
IMG00017.jpg
Fresh ham was hard to find in my neck of the woods but Safeway came through
IMG00019-1.jpg
20 lbs of fresh ham trimmed out to 15 lbs of sausage ready ham
IMG00021-1.jpg
First pass thru the grinder, made a second pass later
IMG00022-1.jpg
No.2 Son with the goodies, 9 summer sauasages ready for the egg and smoke
IMG00023.jpg

Comments

• boehmer
    boehmer Posts: 23
    do you always have to hang them out to dry first?
  • NoVA Bill
    My inlaws always hang them, never smoke them. I'm going to try smoking at 200* grid and pull the sausages at 160*.

Thanks,
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Hi Bill...looking great....just wanted to wish you & your family all the best for the new year.....oh & take good care of that Corvette OK? :laugh:
  • NoVA Bill
    Hey Beli!!

Great to hear from you.

Thanks for the best wishes and right back at you.. Happy New Year to you and yours!

Oh and btw the vette is in the garage sitting out the winter weather. ;)

Cheers,
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    What is the reason for the second pass through the grinder? -RP
  • NoVA Bill
    RP,

'cause I was told to do it. :laugh:
    I believe the reason is to make a firm/solid sausage.

Thanks,
  •  
    Great post Bill, the sausage looks fantastic. What was your cure (for the sausage ;))? I am guessing it was pink curring salt No.1 (Prague Powder No.1). I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

No.2 Son looks like No.1 Man for the job. I used to love helping my Dad and once I convinced him I really felt that way he would come track me down when ever he needed a hand. It was always a good time when helping Dad.

Keep warm and have the greatest of days,

Gator

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Thanks for your post, those look great and fun to see the pictures of the results.

Probably going to grind some today. I need to decide how I am going to stuff or if I am going to stuff on this first try. I have come to the conclusion stuffing by hand may not be the best idea, especially with food temperature concerns.

GG
  • NoVA Bill
    Hey Gator,

The cure is in fact pink salt.

The sausages are on the egg right now getting smoke and cooked to 160 degrees.

Now I could use the size of the large. But I'll do around 10 lbs of ham next time and get 4 to 5 sausages... much more managable.

No.2 is a good kid, i.e, young man, doing well at VATech. Used to love watching him play baseball.

Thanks!
  • NoVA Bill
    Hey Kent,

I'm not so sure I'd like hand stuffing. I made bulk sausage and froze it in one lbs bags then make patties (breakfast and italian) until I could get my stuffer. My new batch is on the egg rght know getting smoke and cooked to 160 degrees. Hope I did good!!!

Thanks and Good luck!!!

BTW - Folks are probably getting tired of hearing about your Tunnel-Accelerator but I used it again tonight and I got to 600 degrees quicker than a C6 Corvette going 0 - 60 MPH!!! :laugh: I'm also using a torn up paper towel with olive oil to start the lump - works great!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

I have have by pork butt and beef in the fridge for several days, for no reason other than I was trying to get the 'stuff' needed to grind and stuff.

I found some LEM stuff at a local shop but not sausage kits. Sportsman Warehouse had a HM Summer Sausage kit and a Bratwurst kit so picked both up.

I have the meat grinder and found a KA stuffer attachment locally. So tomorrow is the day.

I don't remember if I asked, do you leave the tunnel in for the full cook?

Glad you find it useful, it is good for a quick light.

I hope you post pictures of your results, excited to see them.

Kent
  • NoVA Bill
    Kent,

Good luck with the sausage. Mine finally hit 160 degrees around 11 last night - 7 hours on the egg! Pics are forthcoming of the finished product.

And no I remove the Tunnel-Accelereator once I get a burn going.

Cheers,