Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket, how long should I allow.

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking my first brisket tonight, its been rubbed and I will inject with some beef broth.

I want to eat it tomorrow at 6 PM, what time should I put it on. I plan on setting the stoker at 215

It is 13 lbs, and 14 degrees outside. With the stoker/BGE combo, I do not feel the cold will be an issue.

I know it says 1-1.5 hours per lb, which way would you lean?
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    Over the years, briskets have been fickle and unpredictable... some much faster than others.... some seem to stick at one temp as don't move (actually fall) for hours... I would much rather have one done early than push it to finish on time.
    Kent Madison MS
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    My guess is 215 will take you at least 18 hours for that brisket to get tender, and more likely 20. Allowing a couple hours for rest, you should consider getting things going before too long.

If you cook closer to 250 (grate), you're looking at 12-14....allow 16 to get in some rest time.

So, my guess (totally off the top of my head) is 215 starting at 8, 250 starting at midnight.

Enjoy, and please report back.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Brokersmoker
    Options
    at least 1 - 1.5 hours per lb. And at 215* might take a little longer than that. Good luck
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    I believe I will put it on at 10 and go to 225-230.
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    That'll work. Start it off at 230 anyways. You can always back it down if needed. Careful with the probe placement, and it never hurts to monitor a spot on the opposite side of your grate with another thermometer....just so you know what's really going on under the hood.

Have fun! Should smell mighty fine when you get up in the morning.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • field hand
    Options
    To be safe, I think you should assume a 19-20 hour cook plus a 2 hour rest. This should allow some wiggle room. I would put it on at 9-10 pm at 225* dome. Watch for the plateau, and if time becomes a factor, ramp the temp up after it passes through it. I suspect the 19-20 hours will be adequate and no rushing will be required.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    It went on at 10 last night, and as of 7am looking good. Meat Temp is 139, I was afraid it was going to be done way early the meat temp got to 130 by like 2 am.
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    i'll leave this question to the real brisket experts on here, but 9 hours in the danger zone (sub 140* meat temp) is an awful long time. you might want to get comfortable with that from a food safety standpoint.
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    As I mentioned earlier, here is where a brisket can make you go insane... this one may hang out in the 140-165 zone for hours... others may stick just a little while and then move right on through...

What is your dome temp? have you "wiggled" the fire grate?
    Kent Madison MS
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    The meat temp has actually been going down, I increased the temp to 260 and the meat temp is at least going up again.

I did mop it at 7 am, this could have caused the temp to go down.

I know with butts, it can hang for a long time too, I have 10 hours left, thinking I should be fine.
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    Not a problem. It would be if it was on the counter for that long, but the BGE was above 200 degrees all during that time.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Pa_BBQ
    Options
    That is a relief, I was wondering if I messed up and needed to throw this work of art in the garbage.

The BGE was never below 230.
    Large BGE
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa.