Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

So. Ill recipe Summer Sausage

NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For all you deer slayers making summer sausage probably ain't no big deal but for me to make my wife's side of the family receipe is starting a new tradition in our household - so I was bit pumped - especially with No. 2 son manning the crank handle on the stuffer.

For all you eggheads from So. Ill, take a look at the name on the seasoning bag: Behrman's. I believe the butcher shop is in Albers, IL (had in-laws mail me enough seasoning, salt and casings for 100lbs of ham).

This recipe calls for 100% fresh ham and normally is hung in a cool place for three to five weeks to dry out the sausage. I'll try smoking mine later today.

Getting all the stuff together
IMG00016-1.jpg
Seasoning and pink salt from So. ILL
IMG00017.jpg
Fresh ham was hard to find in my neck of the woods but Safeway came through
IMG00019-1.jpg
20 lbs of fresh ham trimmed out to 15 lbs of sausage ready ham
IMG00021-1.jpg
First pass thru the grinder, made a second pass later
IMG00022-1.jpg
No.2 Son with the goodies, 9 summer sauasages ready for the egg and smoke
IMG00023.jpg