Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg o' lamb

Options
Cecil
Cecil Posts: 771
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got one from Costco this afternoon; boneless, 3-4#. I have looked at recipes here and will continue to look. I was wondering if there are any sucess/pitfalls to look out for.

Thanks
Walt

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Cecil,

Fearless Grill (I think) had a great low and slow recipe for lamb leg. I've just done them low and slow with garlic, rosemary, olive oil and balsamic marinade.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I like them either stuffed or not. Just be careful, IMHO after 137-142F and they will gain 3-5 degrees they tend to get dry for my tastes. I like to cover the stuffed ones with bacon, helps keep them moist.

BACONDODNE.jpg

Lamb, Leg, Boneless, Stuffed, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3 1/2-5 Lbs Boneless Leg of Lamb
    5-6 Pieces Bacon
    Salt/Pepper to taste
    2-3 Twigs Fresh Rosemary
    Stuffing
    1 Pkg Spinach
    Garlic, Minced
    Olice Oil
    Ricotta or Cottage Cheese
    Capicola sliced thinly
    Mango Chutney
    Pignole nuts
    2-4 Pieces Apple or Guava Wood for smoking
    Marinade
    1 cup Italian Salad Dressing
    4-6 Cloves Garlic, Whole
    1/3 cup Sweet or Red Onion, Diced
    1/3 cup Rosemary, Fresh Leaves
    1 Tbs Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
    1 pinch Sea Salt
    1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
    1 Lemon, Juice From
    Fresh Mint leaves, ( Optional )
    1/4 cup Soy Sauce, ( Optional )

Preparation:
    1 Insert several pieces of whole garlic into the exterior of the meat. Marinate the leg of lamb 4-6 hours in the refrigerator. Never more than 24 hours as the lemon juice will cook the meat and make it tough when cooked.
    2 Sauté the spinach with minced garlic in olive oil., drain and press liquid out.
    3 In the open pocket layer the various ingredients, cheese on bottom, pignole nuts, mango chutney, spinach, capicola.
    4 Tie with 4-5 pieces of butcher twine. Place in a "V" rack and layer the bacon on top. Add the rosemary twigs on top of the bacon.
    Cooking:
    1 Get BGE set up indirect, plate setter legs up, drip pan, 350°F. Add smoking wood
    2 Cook for 1 1/2 -2 hours, looking for an internal temperature of 140°F
    3 Let rest 15-20 minutes as the temperature will creep up 5°F or so.
    Marinade
    Preparation:
    1 Place all in blender and puree. Place meat in ziploc bag and marinate for 4-6 hours, overnight is OK but be careful after 12 hours as the lemon juice has a tendency to "COOK" the meat.
    2 This works well for lamb kabobs, legs, rack or shoulders and shanks.
    3 Soy sauce may be added for optional flavor.,
    4 If doing shanks, like to cut into 1 1/2-2 inch pieces as this tends to reduce the cooking time.
    5 Save the rosemary twigs for smoke!

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/08/31

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=626840&catid=1
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    Options
    don't overcook it and let it rest before slicing are the most important things in my book.

I prefer indirect but medium heat about 325ish and take it off around 130 internal temp and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Fresh herbs are a must for the rub too. Especially fresh rosemary and garlic.

We buy lamb at Costco pretty regularly, the boneless legs make nice kabobs too.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • coalspeak
    Options
    Two weeks ago I did the "Leg of Lamb" recipe on the recipes link of the cookbook page. It was excellent-not too "seasoned" and not too "lamby", I thought it was a good balance of flavor... we loved it.

Bill
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Cecil...Trust me here....Kosher salt, pepper, fresh galic minced, fresh rosemary chopped super fine..... Remove the leg from the mesh...open it up....season inside liberally with S&P, garlic, rosemary, and a slight drizzle of olive oil. Wrap it back up, and put it back into the netting. Then repeat the process on the outside....S,P, Rosemary, Garlic, and drizzle of olive oil. If you don't have a food bad big enough, use a trash bag (non scented obvioulsy!) and allow it to set at minimum overnight (2 days is better) in fridge. Make sure you remove as much air as possible so the herbs and oil and such are in direct contact with the meat.
    Stabilize egg at 400*....indirect...platesetter and drip pan. Just before placing leg on the egg, give it another sprinkle of kosher salt.
    Add the leg to the egg, on grid is fine (indirect, platesetter, drip pan)...... The egg temp will drop. Adjust vents and shoot for a 300-325* dome temp. Allow to roast until 123* internal! Pull, and tent with foil. It will carry over to approximately 132* during the rest, med rare/medium. (It should rest for at least 25 minutes before carving!)
    Remove netting, and slice thin! You should have absolute magic on the table!! They will be begging for lamb next week. B)
    We do this cook often...and had to do this in an "oven" :blink: while on our Christmas journey. My neices and nephews came back for 3rds and 4ths!!!! :S (they are in the 10-12 year old range!) The adults went crazy too... :P
    Wish you the best! And no matter what you choose to do, be sure to post results! :woohoo: ;)
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Hey Michelle,

I totally forgot about your's. Cecil,
    Please ignore my previous reply. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Steve... :laugh: ...I didn't even read the other posts.... when it comes to leg of lamb...I just jump right in! ;) Can't wait to see you, Norma and family in March! B)
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    That one we cooked at your place wasn't all that slow and still very nice.

DOug
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    With the crackdown on airplane traveling, do you REALLY think he can get out of Canada in time????
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Cecil, I have a recipe in the Cookbook section of this Forum. It is titled "New Zealand Leg of Lamb". It is a fantastic recipe and very easy - have cooked it a couple of times and non-lamb people loved it.

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0231_2.jpg
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Steven,

Thanks for remembering my recipe. I've actually posted a few ... not sure which one you liked. I've posted links to my blog posts for each - too many to list all the ingredients and steps here.

Smoked Leg of Lamb: http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/05/recipe-smoked-l.html

Roast%20Lamb%201.jpg

Slow Roasted Leg of Lamb With Pomegranate Glaze

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/09/recipe-slow-roa.html

Lamb.jpg

7-hour Lamb

http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/10/recipe-seven-ho.html

Seven%20Hour%20Lamb%202.jpg

Enjoy!

-John
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    biggest pitfall roasting it is overcooking it, as it goes from raw to medium rare lamb is sweet tasting but quickly goes to mutton tasting as it goes to medium and on. i like a hard sear and rare to med/rare for roast and kabobs. favortite ways to cook it are kabobs, sfeeha(meatpies), stuffed grape leaves, country cobbler, lamb and apricot stew, all are good in the egg. lamb is cheap around here right now, might pick some more up for the weekend :)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    i do mine the same way with one exception,,, i puree the rosmary garlic evoo s&p and push thru a fine mesh stainer ,, i inject the flavored oil and rub the remaining pulp all over the lamb.. i also cook at 325 and pull early i find a 10 degree rise with leg o lamb
  • Little Steven
    Options
    John,

It was the pomegranate glaze one that caught my eye. Really nice!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Doug,

That was a leg rack B)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cecil
    Cecil Posts: 771
    Options
    Thanks for all the help; Michelle,I will look at yours.
    I think Sat will be my day, i will update!
    Thanks,
    Walt