Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Venison Summer Sausage ???

rambeauxrambeaux Posts: 24
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone done any deer summer sausage on their egg? I'm going to try some this week-end. I getting ready to grind it now. Any thoughts on seasonings and/or smoking. I'm thinking on starting low temp and increasing as I go, but I'm not sure on total cook time. What do ya'll think?

Comments

• This is the one we use.
    2# venison
    2tblsp. Tender Quick Salt
    1/2 tsp. mustard seed
    1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
    1 tsp. sugar
    1 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper
    1 tsp. marjoram (optional)

1/4 tsp. sage (optional)
    1 cup water

Mix spices together in a large bowl then add the meat and water. Mix well, cover and refrigerate for at least 72 hours kneading the mixture daily. Form into a roll and Egg indirect over a drip pan filled with water at 250 degrees until internal temp of the meat is 160 degrees. Throw in a chunk of apple or grape wood for flavor.
    Cool roll and slice as desired. May be frozen after cooked

Doug
  • boehmerboehmer Posts: 23
    Did you guys end up making the deer sausage?? if so any tips thinking about trying it this weekend