Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Fight in my Kitchen!!! Good Times......

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, Kids are marginally into the whole BGE thing, although the pork tenderloin (reheat) last evening evoked a few moans of approval....at 12, 13, and 15, and two select athletes (a baseball player and a premier dancer), just looking for ways to pump healthy and tasty proteins into them!!! :angry: :laugh:

Move to tonight...

6 lbs of chicken wings on at 275-325 F direct, took about 1.5 hours until they were ready to sauce. Turned first at 30 minutes, and then about every 15. Let temp creep up...did not force it. Moving wings from hot end of grill to cool to equalize. Direct, with grid elevated to gasket level...

Recipe....

2.5 lbs with DP Dizzy Dust (light) and then a habanero chipolte sauce (jar).

2.5 lbs with (just) Jack Daniels BBQ sauce with 1/4 honey for final saucing.

remainder with DP Tsumani heavy (only).

Results? - Nothing left!!!!!!! It was damn near a fist fight for the last few bbq wings, although my fav was the habanero chipolte wings. Tsumani were VERY good, but a more adult taste. This from kids we tie down to eat a few bites of meat!!!!!!!!!!! My 13 YO had nothing but bones on his plate!

The best thing of the cook was the 1 hour of chicken fat induced smoke coming off the BGE!!!!

Good Times.....

Dave in Keller, TX

Comments

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Sounds very nice! Hard to beat wings and the aroma of burning chicken fat!
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    As much as my wife enjoys my cooking, the chicken fat thing as an aphrodisiac is a stretch....heading for the shower..... ;)

Thanks for responding!

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Rib Fan
    Rib Fan Posts: 305
    Options
    "The best thing of the cook was the 1 hour of chicken fat induced smoke coming off the BGE!!!!"

I completely agree....the journey is the best part..the taste is simply a bonus.

Wayne
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Sounds like you had a great time and everyone had some good eats. Great way to spend and evening.
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Way to go man!!!!
    I'm feeding a dancer myself. My God she can pack away the food at 5'4" and about 108 lbs.
    She likes my Eggin' too....as long as I don't get anything WAY over to the "hot" side of things!
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Its time to do some wings. Packers made the playoffs (I know its the wild card just let me have this week please) and we're supposed to get to 23 degrees on Sunday...I can Egg in 23 degrees!

Sunday is wing day!
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    Dave, I recently did some more wings. Adapted from Fishlessman's chicken suggestions, I put a small amount of lump in my large (barely up to the firebox side holes) and used my grid on the top of an adjustable rig (about 2" above the felt). This gets my wings a great distance from the lump and I cook at a dome of 400*. I move them around some if I have hot spots and pull when they reach 200*internal.

They cook much faster that way and I get closer to the crispiness one gets with fried wings. I dip in sauce and then back on for a few minutes to "set" the sauce.

Last batch (48 wings) had DP Shaking the Tree rub (heavily applied and allowed to melt in prior to cooking). Sauced with Carnivore Robust (our favorite) plus some with Mango/Habanero sauce I bought at a Buffalo Wild WIngs.

Great to know you found a good protein source for those athletes. :woohoo:
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Followed your direction last evening with less lump in the box, and I think the temperature control and finish was much nicer. I did not feel like I was chasing temperature or burning with the fire being lower in the box. Great recommendation!

Dave in Keller, TX