Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Belated EGGomaniac Update

JSlot
JSlot Posts: 1,218
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The Big Green EGGomaniacs competed in the 20th Annual Prestigious Palmetto Pig Pickin' here in Charleston on March 12-13. It was a great event with 69 teams from all over the place. We just got the final score sheets in the mail. We finished as follows:[p]Whole Hog- 21st
Shoulders- 7th
Ribs- 31st[p]Overall- 14th[p]I knew the ribs were terribly mis-timed. Oh well, live and learn! I'd like to congratulate Charles (BS Pitmeister) on winning the shoulder category and Scott & Cindy McDaniel (Smoke Shack) for their 3rd place in shoulder. They visit our forum every now and then.[p]Just to whet your appetites, I'm developing a revolutionary way to do ribs on the Egg. The first tests have produced the best ribs I have ever done and temperature seems fairly irrelevant. As soon as I have the first prototype built, I'll post pics.[p]Frosty Ones,
Jim[p]P.S. Don't ask how we squeezed the whole hog on the Egg!!! :)

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    JSlot,
    An excellent showing Jim! Ain't it terrible when you misjudge one of your entries and then you see that respectable 14th place overall and whisper to yourself, "What if....?" That's what keeps us packing up camp and headin' out to the cookoffs though, eh?
    Interestin' in yer rib findings!
    Qfan

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    JSlot,[p]Like Mike said, congratulations on a very respectable showing, Jim![p]I'm also interested in hearing about the best ribs you've ever done....... bring it on! [p]John

• Buck Shot
    Buck Shot Posts: 34
    JSlot,[p]First off Congrats! nice show on the competition. Your fault however is that you ask us not to ask about the whole hog on the egg yet that is my question.
    Pictures? and how did that happen?[p]Gotta know.[p]Chris

• JSlot
    Yep, that's what makes so much fun! BTW, we fed a whole lotta people some Ragin' River chicken legs on Friday to rave reviews. I guess we cooked about 200 legs. Couldn't find a single one left when I was hankerin for a snack at 3 a.m. LOL.[p]Jim
  • JSlot
    I'm trying to get the prototype built quickly. Unfortunately, the guy who's building it will be working long hours over the next month or so. I was hoping to have it ready for our contest in Tennessee next month, but looks like I'll have to use my jury rig. LOL.[p]Jim
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    JSlot,[p]You've got me curious for sure, dude. Maybe it will be ready for the unveiling in Waldorf?[p]I agree with your choice of Raging River on chicken...... I did some ChefRD's Hot Wings with the RR as the seasoning and the flavor was outrageously good.
    Raging River spare ribs are also da bomb ..... RR aint just for salmon any more![p]John

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JSlot,
    Wow dude. 14th of 69 teams ain't playin. Way to cook it up!
    Sounds like you had a good time too.
    Chilly ales back to ya. See you in a month or so.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JSlot
    Yeah, Chris, all the Memphis In May big guns come to this competition, so I'm real pleased with the results. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon. I'll let you know what I need in the rub department so you can have it ready for me!! LOL.[p]Cheers!
    Jim

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Jim,[p]14th overall out of more than 60 teams sounds like a great showing. Congratulations! Looking forward to hearing more about the ribs...[p]Tonia
    :~)

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    JSlot,[p]Not bad overall. I bet you had fun. I'm getting ready to pack up my two large eggs and head to Dripping Springs, TX for a cook off in a couple of weeks. 36 hours of BBQ & Beer is the best way to get back into the swing of things after being away for 6 weeks.[p]Cheers & good luck on the next one.

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • JSlot
    Good luck, Ed. You're gonna have a blast no matter what![p]Jim