Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg vs others?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm currently searching for a new grill and I have found many versions of this Big Green Egg, like the Kamodo Joe and the Bubba Keg. Why is the BGE so much better? Is it really worth $500+ more?

Thanks, I'm just trying to figure out what's best for our family.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    There ARE NO OTHERS!!!!! ;)
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    this forum alone is worth more than 500 to me for sure. So much priceless info and troubleshooting, plus it dag gone entertaining.
    Good luck...I've had mine for 2 months
  • Go to a local dealer that is doing a cooking demo and try the food. If you can, try to make an eggfest near you and judge for yourself.You are going to hear nothing but praise here so try before you buy.
    Some of the short list is , The ever growing family,Lifetime warranty, Customer support,This blog.
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Eggs are simple.

Eggs do it all (grill, smoke, bake, etc.) as well as or better than anything else, even cookers that are dedicated to any one of those things.

Eggs are tried-and-true. They have been around for a while, and they don't have any problems/issues.

Eggs are backed by a lifetime warranty.

If you can find a product that has all those things and costs $500 less, you should buy it.

Mark
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    The BGE IS the BGE. Like you, a lot of us have researched on the EGG and others and found out that the EGG is the best when it comes to Ceramic Cookers. You ask if it is worth $500+ and I can say for the VALUE I say yes. There has to be a reason that some people have more than one EGG. Just this Forum alone speaks for itself. You might want to read some of the posts and see some of the pictures.
    Everyone here is very helpful. If you have a question, it will be answered. Also, look at the posts that are from people who just got their first EGG. A lot of us have or had Gas Grills and for the most part we don't use them anymore or not as much. The joke is the Gas Grills are used for storing the EGGCESSORIES. You won't go wrong with the EGG. The one question you will have to ask it what size and you can post that question and you will get the usual answer, "get the LARGE". Personally, I have the XL. I like having the extra space.

I could go on and on but do yourself a big favor and read the posts and ask questions.

Good Luck.

Gary
    Canoga Park, Ca.
  • kshipp wrote:

"...many versions of this Big Green Egg, like the Kamodo Joe and the Bubba Keg. Why is the BGE so much better? Is it really worth $500+ more?..."

$500 more? Perhaps you could supply a few more details. I'm skeptical.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    They aren't $500 more. Maybe $50-$100 that's it.
  • All the BGE (large size) that I've found locally are $900-$1100 per. The Kamodo Joe & the Bubba Keg can be found on the internet for about $600 each. So the $500 was extreme, but enough of a price difference for my household to figure out what's the "real" difference.

Thanks
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    IMO, an EGG isn't for everyone.

You don't see them at the Big Box stores, but there is a reason that so many people swear by the Big Green EGG (including me ... I own three).

I do have a neighbor who is a big wig at one of the big home store chains who told me with a grin on his face the this week he will be purchasing his egg and asked for me to spend some time with him to get him up to speed!

Just my 2 cents.
  • I was in the same boat as you...looked at Primo, Grill Dome, and the BGE. In the end - I went with the Egg.

There are just too many good things about the Egg...to me, the biggest was everyone comparing their product to the Egg...that should say plenty. I love my Eggs (Small and Mini) and haven't looked back since day one.

Another huge asset for the Egg is this forum. So many members, so many cooks, so much info and help, and so much fun.

Here's a prediction - whatever ceramic cooker you decide on - you'll still come to this board and tell everyone you own an Egg! :) The Egg is a great product...has great customer service...and all the accessories you would ever need. As I said...just to many good things about the BGE product. I hope to see you on the board as a "real egg owner".

LJ
  • Everyone here is going to tell you to get an Egg. I think whatever one you choose will be awesome, they are all good cookers. Go with the one that works best for you, and enjoy your food!
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Functionally all those ceramic cookers are pretty similar, though the BGE does seem to be constructed with a little more thought behind it.
    None of the other forums are nearly as helpful, more frequented or fun!
    I, personally am SO very glad I went with the BGE!
    I think (know) it's worth it...
  • I settled on the Egg because of the lifetime warranty and the network of supportive dealers.

If I have a problem, this year or ten years from now, I'm confident that the Big Green Egg company will not only be available to assist.....but that they will still want to assist.
  • Honda vs Mercedes. Both cars will get you from A to B but the ride will sure be quite different. The Mercedes and the Egg are a better product and both have way more options. 6 years ago, I went to the grill store expecting to spend $1500 for the fastest, hottest gas grill they had and after talking to the salesman for an hour, I walked out with the large Egg. He could have made a bunch more money on me had he sold me that gas grill or any of the other charcoal cookers but he eneded up selling me what he cooked with and I have been forever thankful. If you are planning to use it quite often, there is no substitute! -r
  • Well, this question is like going to a chocolate lovers forum and asking, "Should I eat chocolate or liver?" :laugh:

But seriously, for me, there was no alternative other than the egg. And look around for a better price than the $900 - $1100 for the large egg. A local retailer around here has them for $750 and I've heard some will sell them for $699. OR, you could plan to go to an Eggfest. I know that you can walk away with a large egg there for a lot less than that, too. They use the eggs for demonstation, and then sell them.

I have a feeling if you go with one of the others, that you will wish you went with a BGE.
  • mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    You can also try Craigslist, you might get lucky and find someone selling one.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    The Big Green Egg is better...buy it..

nuff' said... :)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    ceramic bbq grills do crack from time to time, with the egg you can drive to a nearby dealer and get it replaced, with some others your left on your own. after your first two break, make your third the last one, get an egg :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I hear these are nice!

square_smoker_grill-1.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Hay, I had one of those, well maybe 2. Crap that was a long time ago.

GG
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    I had two like those also. Used them for years. Wanted to move up to a better grill, thought of gas, dealer who sold high end gas showed me the Big Green Egg. Him and all of his employees had Eggs. Bought the Large, had it for years, added a small. Best grills that exist.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Craigs list around here usually only has people listed what WANT one. :laugh:

I can get a large for 699 any day of the week. Although I heard that the price is going up in the very near future.
  • Emarf
    Emarf Posts: 167
    Hey that was my first cooker I made BBQ on
  • DDAY
    DDAY Posts: 30
    just think if you save 500 bucks you can get alot of hotdogs and hamburgers to cook on your new grill! :evil: