Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mapp gas freezing???

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since becoming an egg owner, I've started using mapp torch to light my egg. Well, I went outside earlier while the sun was out and it was nice n warm, 15* :S to clean my small for a few steaks tonight. Well I went out just now, down to 12* to light and my mapp won't light and it sounds like liquid trying to make it thru a small opening. I'm assuming it is frozen somewhere/somehow? Others have this problem? I keep it in a small garbage can next to the egg with my lump in it. I've never had any moisture in there, so I don't think its a water issue. Does Mapp freeze? brought it inside and used a starter cube to get it going now.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    glousteau,

Don't think so. It's about 7* here and I just lit mine. Think it may be water/ice in the nozzle.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

If you are not running out of MAPP I wouldn't think it is freezing. I can use MAPP at -20° without problem.

If you find your torch is going out often then you are out of oxygen down by the lump. A small 2 dollar fan will work wonders on the efficiency of of MAPP or Propane lighting.

fan.jpg

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I left mine out in the cold once. I'm guessing 30's since it was a month or two ago, right after I bought it. Wouldn't work at all. Brought it inside to warm up and it was fine. Since 30 isn't even close to cold, I can only imagine what it would do now.

I know you're not supposed to, but now I leave it in the house.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    I had that happen too. I started to put one of my welders gloves on the torch and it works every time now. It seems like if it is uncovered and really cold, it will not light for a while.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut