Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

High Temperature Cooking Question

BunkyRub
BunkyRub Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There has been a lot of discussion here around useing very high heat (TREX method, etc.)for certain applications. I believe this usually applies to cooking beef. As a novice egger, I need to understand why/how this improves the end result. The few times I have tried this, the high heat seemed to be brutal to the steak I was cooking. These were 1 1/2" to 2" filets and the high heat seemed to make them start to curl up a bit with some degree of stiffness. I only exposed them to this level of heat for 80 to 90 seconds per side. On other cooks with same type of beef, I seem to get better results with a moderate heat and obviously a slower cooking time. Am I missing something here? I know that a friend some years ago that was a line cook in a fine dining restaurant said the way to cook a thick steak was slowly. Help me understand the rationale for this.

Comments

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    BunkyRub,[p]The theory, as I understand it, it that a quick, high heat will seal-in the juices. You're right, a high heat WILL tend to shock the meat, causing it to "tense up". That's why TRex calls for the meat to rest 20 minutes after the sear and prior to the final cook at a lower temp. The meat will then "relax" and not be as tough yet retain the moisture.
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    BunkyRub,[p]Your friend was right. You do want to COOK a thick steak slowly - I like to call it "roasting." Pakak is right too in that your steak will recover from the high temp sear if you let it rest at room temperature for a while (I use 20 minutes as a general rule). You'll be surprised how much of the "tenseness" is gone after the resting period. Then, crank your Egg down to 400 or so, and do your slower roast of the steak to cook it to your desired internal temperature. [p]Also, there's another factor that can make steaks tougher or more rigid: if you go straight from the fridge to the grill, your steak will take longer to cook, because you started with a much lower internal temperature. The longer exposure to the heat will often make the meat drier and tougher. Let your steaks rest on the counter for an hour or so before you start the searing process. I ideally like for the internal temperature of my steaks to be between 50 and 60 degrees before I take them to the grill. Also, when you're letting the steaks come up closer to room temperature, you may have to change out the plate or whatever they're sitting on at least once, as sometimes they tend to shed a little blood, and you don't really want them sitting in the blood at room temperature.[p]Hope some of this helps. Good luck![p]TRex
  • BunkyRub
    BunkyRub Posts: 52
    TRex,
    Thanks for your comprehensive answer! Your points make sense and I'm interested in giving your method another try.