Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vacuum Sealer Uses

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Wondering what all of you use your Foodsavers (or whatever) for. Fresh vegetables for instance. I always seem to throw out lettuce, romaine, celery, peppers, lemons, limes, even carrots because they rot before I eat all of them. I suppose it would be a pain to open and reseal every time I wanted a salad, but I'm getting tired of wasting this stuff. Do any of you use the FS for this? Does it make a difference?

What else do you use it for, besides fresh meat of course. Thanks.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• I have a FoodSaver but a few months ago I picked up one of the Zip Lock vacuum kits.

Great for short term stuff because you can re-seal the with no problem. We use it for stuff like the bagels we don't eat every day.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Fresh meat, as you mentioned, lettuce and salad mix is another biggie, it helps tremendously there. I also use it to freeze cooked foods i.e. the leftover pulled pork from the Butts I did is gonna be frozen in 1lb packages. I also use mine to package opened crackers, like saltines. Not that they are expensive by any means, but why waste it? I cut a bag big enough to cut the top off of and reseal again a couple times.

Another thing it is cool for is tailgating and even skiing or fishing. I keep my trout stamps in a sealed bag, and if I am going into the water I even can put my id and stuff in a sealed bag. Shouldn't need it til I am done fishing anyways, but required to have it at all times on the river.

Basically anything you want to store in dry packaging, even not foods, it works great for!
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks guys. I have a cheapo vac sealer, but it never occurred to me to use it with veggies. Will give it a try. Still trying to justify buying a GOOD one. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bcrawfo2
    Options
    My wife has recent "fetish" for fancy soaps from a store called Lush. Last night she divided up her soaps and foodsaver-ed them so they stayed fresh.
    Freezing or not...we're still trying to figure out.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I initially bought mine to freeze speckled trout and redfish filets and wore one Foodsaver out on fish filets. I don't v-pack fresh meats. I don't have any fresh meat in the freezer. It's real handy for pulled pork, brisket, pulled beef, buckboard bacon, and the like. I have occasionally used it on onion tops, bell pepper, lemons, etc. but not too often. When I do use it on veggies, I make the bag a little bigger than required so I can pull a little out of the bag and then reseal.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Oh my. Somehow, I don't think I'll be doing that. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks. I have never frozen fresh fish. Always figured if it wasn't truly fresh, it wouldn't be, well, fresh. I assume that the fish you freeze is fish you just caught. Are you saying that I could buy fish at the fish market or the grocery store and then freeze it in a vacuum pouch? Or am I pushing my luck with that?

I often buy fresh meat in packages that contain far more than I will eat before it rots, so freezing is a must. And I gotta start freezing my bean soup.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    The only fish I freeze are ones I caught. B)

Like these :)
    IMG_2386800x600.jpg

Before :)
    101_2867800x600.jpg

After :)
    101_2869800x600.jpg

Haven't been fishing since last March though :(