Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Year's Brisket Results

Options
Dan in StL
Dan in StL Posts: 254
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
It was quite the saga - much of it chronicled in my posts last night about problems with the CyberQ:

http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=791087&catid=1

But enough about that for now. Let's get to the specifics. Here's what I started with:

DSC_0555.jpg

This thing is labled as a flat, but given the size and shape (see subsequent pics) I'm wondering if this wasn't a smaller packer??

I used a marinade based on advice from Celtic Wolf. Didn't have regular shire sauce, had to substitute A1 instead. I let it sit in the marinade for about 4-5 hours and when it was in the plateau heated up the left overs and injected it. Also, I tried to maintain a pit temp of 230. I used pecan chunks for smoke.

DSC_0554.jpg

After about 15 hrs and a 185 meat temp I double foiled and put in a cooler to rest for another 2 hours. And then. . .

DSC_0562.jpg

Initial cut:
DSC_0563.jpg

Sliced:
DSC_0564.jpg

And finally - based on this pic, do you think I had both a point and a flat on what was labeled by Sam's as just a flat?

DSC_0565.jpg

For this being my second brisket, I shouldn't complain too much. The flavor was very good, but it was on the dry side. Given some of the temp problems I had, I'm not too surprised.

Thanks to Celtic Wolf, Thirdeye, Little Chef, Jeffersonion, Gator and others who provided wise counsel and support throughout. I'll do a follow up post on my CyberQ issues and let you know if it was a fan/controller or a user problem.

Comments

• Booking It
    Options
    That is the prettiest smoke ring that I have ever seen on a brisket. Nice job!

And I actually prefer dry meat (I hope I don't get banned from the forum for saying that), so I bet it tasted delicious! :cheer:
  • banjomark
    Options
    Nope that's still a flat - if it were the whole brisket you'd have about 50% of that thing being pure fat that you just have to cut off in one big chunk after the cook. Next time try the whole packer's cuts - my butcher gets me 9-10lbers, so you can get them on the smaller side (and remember, that leaves you about 4-5 lbs of actual meat). It will come out much more moist and solve your dryness issue - cooking a flat for 15hrs will dry it out. If I have to do a flat, I do it at higher temp for shorter time so the juices seal in.
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    Looks awesome!
    Next time, try try a foil pan with foil cover instead of the wrap. You'll catch all the juice and then you can inject it back in. Sometimes the juices will find their way out of the wrap.
    Works for me with drier meats like brisket AND Pork Loin Roast.