Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

De-Gunkification

Options
Trouble
Trouble Posts: 276
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My daisy wheel is gunked so badly that the daisy part won't daisy (to reveal the small openings), and the daisy as a whole will hardly swing to reveal the larger hole.[p]What's the best cleaning approach? I always thought of grill parts like this as similar in caretaking needs to a cast iron skillet where too much soap and water might not be a good thing.[p]Thanks, all.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Light your Egg and leave all the vents wide open. Put your daisy top inside and let it cook away for about 20-30 minutes. Good as new![p]Jim
  • Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    JSlot,
    Very Cool! Thanks!

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Trouble,
    I've done several things, both which have worked for me. I have put it in the egg and cooked it for 20 or 30 minutes; and I have also disassembled the daisy, scrubbed it with a small wire brush dipped in ammonia, and then immersed the daisy disassembled in ammonia for several days.
    I then sprayed it with pam.
    Hammer

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Trouble,
    Actually, you fire up the egg to steak searing temps and leave the daisy wheel on there for 20 mins it will NOT be very cool.
    But Jim is right...it'll clean it off. Don't know where you live or where you keep your daisy wheel when not in use but someone here once suggested removing the daisy wheel at the end of a cook, while the lump is still hot and place the daisy wheel on the grill. Use the rain cap on top as it seals better. Been doing that and it works fine and keeps the daisy free of gunk.

• Bluegillman
    Options
    JSlot,
    did you leave the daisy cover open or close or didn't it matter?

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I start with it open and then close it at some point to get the underside of the cap. It doesn't really matter, though. All the gunk gets crispy and burns off.[p]Jim
  • Bluegillman
    Options
    JSlot,
    Sounds easy thing to do, I'm going to do mine.

• BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Options
    Trouble,
    The De-Gunkification worked last night! Daisy is clean once again.[p]BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin