Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any vets in the house? (Animal doctors)

Options
The Naked Whiz
The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
edited November -1 in Off Topic
We just noticed that our dog has 1 paw that is 7-8 degrees hotter than the other 3. You can feel it quite distinctly and I also verified it with an infrared thermometer. Do you think he has an infection in that paw? Should we take him to the vet or just keep an eye on it? He doesn't seem to be sensitive to pain when we manipulate it gently, but every once in a while, he seems to take a misstep with that paw. We'll probably call the vet in the morning, but we were just curious for now.

Thanks!
The Naked Whiz

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Whiz,

I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night and I suggest you watch it. It could be something manifesting but at this stage it is hard to tell. What kind of dog? (not that it matters) How old a dog? I would think an older dog like an older person would be more likely to have physical quirks like neuropathy or something like that. As long as he/she isn't complaining I think you are safe till you can call the vet. That's just my opinion, I hope a vet/physician will chime in.

Good luck,

Gator

• Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    Randi, my wife, is a biologist, not a vet, but she suggests that it is an infection and a trip to the vet is in order. Not sure its an emergency but you don't want it to go systemic.

Doug
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    This is Scooby The Wonder Dog, a lab mix who is almost 10 years old. So far he isn't really complaining, so i'm sure he's ok for tonight. Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Thanks!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    TNW,

My big dog had an infected paw and showed intermittent pain. We chose to wait and see and it turned in to a systemic infection. Not suggesting you run to the emergency but get it checked soon.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Gator Bait
    Options
    Hey Whiz,

I'm not discounting what others are saying about infections at all but I had a Lab mix that about that age started to develop arthritis. I just found this picture of him the other day.
    DSCN6099_640.jpg
    By the time Champ (often referred to as Old Yeller) was ten he was developing arthritis which was eventually his demise. I also know from my own arthritis that it is an inflammation and could cause the occasional missed step and heat.
    Regardless, a call to the vet never hurts and there are now treatments for arthritis in pets.

Good luck,

Gator

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Doug,
    Not that this will help, but something that I just learned at the cost of $500 was that when dogs have a fever they refuse to eat! Long story but after nearly 2 weeks of medication and worry Dublin got back to normal and is eating just fine. This isn't a clear pix, but I swear he was saying "hey, I'm fill of p*ss and vinegar again...wanta come see what I just did to the snow?"

IMG_0905.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • AuntieEgger
    Options
    Hi Naked Whiz, you say the paw is hotter than the other three but does their seem to be any swelling on the pads of the paw? I think if there was infection there would be swelling as well as it feeling hot and a red color as well.Have you checked in between the toes for any objects? I once found my dog limping and she had a staple in between her toes!!
    Doesn’t sound like an infection. Given the fact that the dog is miss stepping with the leg/paw it sounds like it could be neurological. Or it could be arthritis as well.
    I would call the vet and explain to them what’s going on they may say keep an eye on it or bring the dog in for further examination.

AuntieEgger
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Thanks. He had a burr in his paws about a week ago, and it happened twice. So we were thinking he got a small wound, but we don't see any swelling. We'll call the vet if he isn't better in the morning.
    The Naked Whiz
  • GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    Hi there! If you're still following this thread, I'd definitely take to a vet when possible, as it sounds like a possible staph infection or something lodged in skin... pour hydrogen peroxide over paw and see if it bubbles anywhere which could point it out... Also, as I deal with A LOT of rescue dogs, there's probably an emergency vet clinic in the area (or call one from home) and talk to a vet tech... they can provide guidance...
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    This just in from a Vet List I host

"Is that the only place that's hot? If it's not painful then it may be able to wait for an appointment tomorrow. It may indicate inflammation in the foot, leg, or body which increases blood flow to the foot. This could be due to a small wound, including a puncture or foxtail, a sprain, an abscess, or any other cause of inflammation.
    ---
    "

Sounds like yout burr hypothesis is spoy on.