Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One Heck of A Cook: Pork Char Sui

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

Over the years Richard FL and some others have put up posts regarding Pork Char Sui. Last week there was another post and I decided to give it a try.

Here is how my cook went.

No smoke wood, short marinade, indirect, 375° until the pork tenderloin was 145°. Cook took about 30 minutes or so.

Just put on the egg
charsui1.jpg

Just before pulling. I did mop 2 times during the cook.
charsui2.jpg

charsui3.jpg

charsui4.jpg

charsui5.jpg

Here is the recipe:
Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu:

2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce (dark or regular)
1.5 Tbsp Rice Wine (sha sing wine)
2.5 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp catsup
1.5 Tbs minced garlic
1/4 cup honey

I used 2.6# pork tenderloin

Mix ingredients, put zip lock with meat and let marinate or 2 to 6 hours. I used a vacuume tumbler for 20 minutes. But I would let it marinate for 12 hours in the fridge.

Then on the egg. I did mop 3 the top 2 times during the cook and top and bottom once again 5 minutes before pulling off the egg.

Very easy and rewarding cook.

My dear wife, the one who must be obeyed, said this was the best food she has had off of the egg yet. 4 thumbs up from GG and the Mrs.

As recommended by Richard FL I am going to try with butt on the next cook. Richard said it gave more flavor to the meat.

GG

Comments

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Looks Awesome GG!!
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    oh my, that looks fine...
    thanks for the recipes.. that dog will hunt!
    Kent Madison MS
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words. Great looking meal. Where are the black eyed peas? a Southern thing on New Years Day. Now that you have the char sui pork down, get your wok out and have a great year.

Rice, Fried, Shrimp, Young Chow

I like to use day old rice because when I stir in the soy sauce, it is not as readily absorbed and therefore does not make the rice mushy. High volume restaurants use the new stuff and that works well just be careful about the liquid amount or you will have mush. You may also take the eggs, scramble them and then drizzle over the rice in the wok and stir rapidly on high heat. Add the egg last.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Cup Long Grain White Rice
    1 1/2 Cups Cold Water
    6 Tbs Vegetable Oil
    Seasoning:
    Pinch White Pepper
    Pinch Black Pepper
    Pinch Salt
    Tad Sugar
    Mushroom Soy, To lightly season rice
    2-3 Eggs, Lightly Beaten
    1/3 Lb Shrimp, Medium, Peeled, Deveined
    4 Ozs Ham, Cooked
    1 Cup Scallions, 3 stalks chopped
    Options:
    Frozen Peas
    Carrots, Diced
    Meat or Veggie of Choice, Char Sui Pork, Poultry

Procedure:
    1 To prepare boiled rice, rinse the rice by pouring it into a saucepan and adding enough cold water to cover it and give the rice a through stir. Drain the rice, add 1 1/2 cup water and bring the rice to a boil over high heat. Reduce temperature to simmer and cover the pan. 15-18 minutes later the rice should be ready.Let the rice rest for 10 minutes, then remove the cover and fluff the rice with a pair of chop sticks. Or use a rice cooker and follow directions.
    2 Add 2-3 Tbs oil to hot wok and place the rice in to coat and sear a little.
    3 Pour 2 TBS oil into a wok over high heat, swirl the oil and immediately reduce to medium heat. Pour in the eggs, giving them a quick stir and transfer to a plate when they are no longer a liquid, but not overcooked. Use your judgement.
    4 Pour 1 Tbs oil into the wok, stir-fry 1/3 cup scallion pieces, add shrimp, 1/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp soy. Cook until shrimp turn pink and remove them to a plate.
    5 Heat the remaining 3 Tbs oil in the same wok, add the boiled rice and stir-fry for about 2 minutes until all grains are coated with oil, add 1/2 tsp salt, 3 tsp soy sauce, shrimp and ham. Stair-fry for 20 seconds, return the eggs and add 2/3 cups scallions. Stir-fry for a few seconds and serve.

Recipe Type
    Side Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Cooking W/SUI SUI, Winter Park, Fl.

Source: Egg Foo Looey's, Richard Howe, 1994/05/25
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

LOL, I don't think I have ever tasted black eyed peas in any form.

Thanks for the Fried Rice Recipe I will try it when I do your hanging method of Char Sui. On this cook I wish I would have cut the tenderloins in half thus having more marinade. I think the hanging idea will do the trick just right.

Seaking of which it is time you repost that recipe, this would be a good place for it to show up again. However when I look at it, darken the picture a little :)

Hope you and Gloria had a good time last night. Me I am playing with those new spices you sent.

Kent
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu....I love that name. :)
    It looks delicious thanks for posting the recipe. I need to give this one a try. Happy New Year!!!
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Those look awesome?

Just one question (as a newbie) why did you pull at 145F? Personal preference for pork? Seems a little done for the few (read only about 3 or 4) tenderloins I have cooked on my egg. I have been pulling at about 135 which leaves a tinge of pink on inside, which some folks dont like, but I am a big fan of. I LOVE your finish. We bought some Hoisin a few months back, and just look for stuff to put it on ;) .

The last pick looks like some pink remaining, and delicious!

Again, just asking questions to learn.

Thanks for pics, and happy holidays!

Dave in Keller, TX
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    WOW Kent. Very nice. Thanks for including the recipe.

Mike
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Alright Kent. That looks great. Now I will have to follow suite. Tim ;)
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Beautiful cook GG! I'm glad you liked the recipe - I agree that it is an excellent and authentic recipe.

Grandpa Kwok was an owner of a San Fransisco Chinese Food Restaurant, and this was his recipe. The source of the recipe and the story is on Bob's blog:

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html

Bob does not post on this forum, but he has some very nice recipes on his blog.

Mark
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

More of a preference. I don't see any reason one couldn't pull a little earlier. Very little pink on this cook, but still very moist.

This is really a good cook Dave. Give it a try sometime - I waited to much long.

GG
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    thanks again for posting, and the pics are incredible! Will be trying in next few weekends.

Dave
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Don't wait to do this Anne. It is easy and a quick cook and one of the better tasting cooks.

Happy New Year.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thank you.

This is a really a good cook Mike. The only thing I would change is possibly have smaller cuts which would have more marinade.

A very rewarding cook.

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I think it was your cook (and ingredient list) last week that finally got me off my dime to give this cook a try. Richard FL has posted a 'like' recipe off and on for a few years now.

There is a lot of resource to this type of cook if one googles "Char Sui", including "Grandpa Kwock's Char Siu".

I got a smile at Anne's post when she referenced "Grandpa", it didn't dawn on me that could be taken as my recipe. I thought I made it clear above it wasn't my recipe.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your post as well as the other forum members for posting their adaptations.

In any cas, folks are really missing out if they don't give this cook a try. Not sure I would change a single thing other than thinner cuts of meat.

With the amount of meat I cooked there was a little marinade left over.

GG
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I hope my post did not come across as assuming that you were taking credit for the recipe. I just wanted to be sure that the originator gets the traffic to his blog that his char siu recipe deserves! :laugh:

Mark
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    That looked and sounded great! I was wondering though about not using any smoke -- would you recommend doing htat again?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I didn't use any smoke flavor on this cook. Next time I am going to use butt rather than tenderloin and after that I will try some cherry wood.

GG