Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Low AM Temp

Options
Bluedot
Bluedot Posts: 82
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first "lo and slow" had a hiccup this morning.

I started the 9.5 pound butt at 1:30 am after stabilizing the dome temp at 250 degrees.

This morning, I found the temp was at 210 degrees so I remembered what I found on earlier forum posts and gave it a good wiggle job. Temp rebounded and has stabilized again at 250 degrees.

In reading the forum posts, I am expecting the cook duration to be in the neighborhood of 18 hours.

Question: At what point should I start to probe the meat for the proper internal meat temp?

Unfortunately, I have not purchased an electronic temperature control yet and will have to probe the meat in the later stage of the cook. I understand that I am not to cook to time but to temp.

The forum has provided a wealth of information.

Thanks!

Comments

• hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    My last butt cook took 18-20 hours if I recall for an internal temp of 195. That was at 225 and I was cooking two butts about the size of the one you are doing, so your cook will likely be somewhat shorter at 250 and one butt.

I would suggest checking it at 12-13 hours and every hour or so thereafter.

The meat will hit a plateau temp somewhere around 160-165. At that point the temp will stop rising for a few hours as the collagen (connective tissue) in the meat starts to liquify. Once that process is complete the temp will start to rise again and that is when you need to pay closer attention to the it.

I'm sure it will be great.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)