Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone use a Stoker?

Options
Pa_BBQ
Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I recently purchased a stoker for my 22" WSM and its amzing, now that I seldom use the WSM, I purchased the adapter for the BGE. I am curious to know who all uses a stoker for long and slow cooks.

For those who do not know what a stoker is here is a link.
http://rocksbarbque.com/
Large BGE
Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 

Comments

• SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    There are several here who use them, and the BBQ Guru too. After finding my cook at 200 this a.m. I am wishing I had one too, and will be ordering one later today.
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    Options
    I set up a laptop in my bedroom and set the alarms, only once has it went off because the temp dropped below the min temp. That was due to lack of fuel in the WSM. I have a feeling the egg will never have an issue but good piece of mind in case it does.
    Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Got one on-order. Can't wait.
    First cook will be a packer brisket.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    I have one and have run 2 eggs at once with it. Love it.

Mike
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I love my Stoker! It makes the most out of the fuel efficiency and the stability of the Egg.

Do you use StokerLog?

For overnight cooks, I just keep my iphone by the bed, and if I wake up in the night or first thing in the morning I can check the Twitter Tweets to see how the cook is doing.

On Christmas eve day I was cooking the family turkey, but we were invited to a 'drop-in' in the afternoon. I put the turkey on the Egg just before going to the party. Turns out the 'drop-in' was a big party, so I turned the temp down on the Egg a bit using my iphone, and kept watch over the turkey temps. Three hours later, as the thigh hit 175, I packed the family up, said our thank-yous and got us home just in time to pull the turkey off the Egg at a perfect temperature.

Mark
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I use a Stoker that I use for long cooks.

Here is the graph of the triple butt cook I have going now. Only have probes in two of them. The graph is from Stokerlog which is a program to monitor and control your Stoker.

Untitled-1.jpg

Here is how I control my Stoker with my mobile phone. Yes I am a self proclaimed geek.

Stoker%20Remote%20Access.jpg
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    I'm in the same boat Gary. Mine is on order, and I cant wait for it to come in.

I've also been reading the food saver thread, and may have to invest in one of those in preparation of doing a lot of low-n-slows.
  • faithie999
    Options
    i've had my stoker for a couple of years and love it. however, lately it has gotten flakey. anyone had this experience?
    i verify that it has acquired an ip address, but when i try to access it from my computer (or iphone) it stalls while loading--sometimes with a blank screen, sometimes with a few lines of the stoker interface filled in but the rest missing. sometimes it will load the full screen, but then when it tries to auto-refresh, it may load a full screen, partial screen, or blank screen.

i then cycle the stoker power, and sometimes it starts working normally for a while, then gets flakey again.
    i have installed the latest firmware, but still experienced the same unpredictable results.

any ideas?
    thanks!