Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt 911 !!

Options
Calder
Calder Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ok, my butts have been on for about 3 hours now and the temp has not got over 200 once. I followed naked whiz's directions to a tee and cant figure it out. I am afraid to go wide open on the daisy wheel and lower vent. What should I do? Just let them keep cooking?

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Low n slows aren't my specialty...but I am married to Bubba Tim, and been around eggs for years and can give it a shot! What temp did you have the egg stabilized at before you added the pork? Did you add the meat and the platesetter at the same time?? Don't be messin too much with your vents just yet.... How many pounds of pork? Answer the above and we can proceed....Was this a clean/new load of lump? Have you tried poking under the lunp though the grate to make sure you have good airflow?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Like L/C said make sure you don' t have any air flow restrictions. I sent you an e-mail if you have any questions. I know it is easier on the phone some times. :)
  • Calder
    Options
    What temp did you have the egg stabilized at before you added the pork? 200

Did you add the meat and the platesetter at the same time?? added meat about 15 minutes after placesetter.

How many pounds of pork? 2 eight ponders

Was this a clean/new load of lump? Yes

Have you tried poking under the lunp though the grate to make sure you have good airflow? Yes
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Open the Daisy petals all the way and the bottom draft about 1-1 1/2 inch until the temp gets to 250 then close the bottom vent to about 1/4 inch and watch the temps for a bit then adjust accordingly. Pork but is very forgiving so don't sweat it a bunch. Check your e-mail.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I think your right Eddie, 16 pounds of meat plus the plate setter put on an egg at 200º is a whole lot of cold to over come. Hope the fire is still going, if he opens the vents he should know soon.

Happy New Year to ya,

Gator

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Hey Gator, Yea it needed to be hotter when he added the meat and then add the cold mass to a @ 200 degree Egg. I have found that a 200 degree fire struggles a little more. Happy New Year to ya down in the warmer part of the state. :laugh:
  • Calder
    Options
    got it back to 250 but had to open up the vents a little more. Keeping a close eye on the temp
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    ;) Right on Eddie...That was too much for a 200* egg to overcome.
    Calder....next time...add the platesetter while you are stabilizing the egg/bringing the Egg to temp. You can think you have a stabilized egg, then add the platesetter, and it can cost you 100* while it comes back to temp. Heating up all the ceramic of the platesetter, and also asking it to cook cold meat.... yes...it will take a while to get back to temp. It WILL be great.... :) Patience grasshopper..... ;)
    Happy New Year to you and yours.
  • Calder
    Options
    Once I got the temp back up to 250 and adjusted my vents back, I went to bed for 4-5 hours. When I woke up the dome temp was still 250 so I'm thinking it has cooked at 250 for those entire 4-5 hours. Should I check the internal temp at 10 hours of cooking or let it keep cooking for the whole 16 hours? I am afraid to open the dome because of the possibility of the fire dying down at this point.
  • Calder
    Options
    Once I got the temp back up to 250 and adjusted my vents back, I went to bed for 4-5 hours. When I woke up the dome temp was still 250 so I'm thinking it has cooked at 250 for those entire 4-5 hours. Should I check the internal temp at 10 hours of cooking or let it keep cooking for the whole 16 hours? I am afraid to open the dome because of the possibility of the fire dying down at this point. Thank you for all of your support.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You fire won't go out if you open the dome. If anything it will get some extra air and the temp will spike slightly.

I would check the butt in a few hours, once it gets out of the plateau (160 -170 ish) it will finish quickly.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    How did that pork butt turn out. Great I bet. :)