Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Coming to Atlanta for EGGtoberfest? Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340 - NOTE we are CLOSED on Saturday OCT 10th for EGGtoberfest.

Boston butt vs. Shoulder?

MaciekMaciek Posts: 54
edited 9:06PM in EggHead Forum
I'm making pulled pork for a new years day celebration. I've always done boston butt, but after trips to three stores, I could only find pork shoulder.

Is there any difference to cooking shoulders as opposed to butts? I am still planning on going low and slow at 250 overnight. Thanks!

• Same thing. Boston Butt = pork shoulder roast
  • Both the same...and both low and slow!!
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    They both come off the front leg.Butt is the top,what you have is the bottom portion.I actually prefer the cut you have for pulled pork.Cook the same as a Butt.
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Butt is the upper half of the "shoulder". Picnic is the lower half.
    Yes, 250ish until 195deg internal for either cut.
  • popagar0popagar0 Posts: 136
    you wont go wrong with one or the other. i have done both,they make great pulled pork
  • My understanding is that a shoulder is the cut that includes _both_ the butt and picnic as one piece of meat. The shoulder can be separated into a butt and a picnic. I am wondering if the question is about a butt vs a picnic, not a shoulder which would be about a 15 to 20 pound cut (depending), vs about 8 pounds for a butt or picnic.

Did two shoulders last weekend. Photos on my phone. Will post later this weekend.
  • When you guys say slow and low can I assume you are also using a plate setter and drip pan?
  • MaciekMaciek Posts: 54
    Thanks for the responses. I do believe I have two picnics, not entire shoulders. I just wanted to double check with the experts.

Happy new years to all!