Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Debating second large Egg

Angela
Angela Posts: 543
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We were talking about this in the " my egg is no longer lonely thread" ( sorry for hijacking that one) and I thought I'd continue here.

We have been debating what size to get for our second egg. Everyone says small is the perfect partner for a large.

Hubby lobbied for a medium. I was sold on that until I realized we already have a bunch of accessories for our large. Plate setter, cast iron grid, pizza stone, and the whole adjustable rig combo I ordered ( haven;t got yet) from Ceramic Grill Store. Will be getting a wok to use with it too. So I was thinking I could save a bunch of money on accessories if we go with a large because they could both share them.

We are both avid cooks. I want to focus on breads, pizzas, side dishes and my specialties while he tends to focus on the low and slow.
Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle

Comments

• Your assessment is correct. Go for another large.

The small is a nice egg for taking places. So is the Mini. But when it comes to overall pleasure, the Large is the most popular for a reason.

Spring "Have Egg Will Not Travel" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • popagar0
    popagar0 Posts: 136
    one thing i did not say on the other post we go to the outer banks NC. vacation a lot. the large is too much for me to lift. so thats will make it better. :) good luck on that next egg
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    That makes the most sense.You already got a bunch of interchangeable toys.Go for the second LARGE! ;)
  • I can certainly understand what you are looking at. If you have that many accessories go for another large. If you would like the portability of a second egg, go with the small. My 2nd egg was in fact another large.
  • 2 large Eggs gives you lots of flexibilty in cooking, I prefer that as the best combo.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    I have a Med, Large and XL. Quite honestly I would rather have 2 larges. Part of the reason is, as you stated, you have all of the accessories. The other reason is that each size has its own characteristics and cooks a little different. I like the consistency of having two the same size. Then it doesn't matter who uses which one for what.
  • Angela
    Oh I didn't think of the fact that each size would have it's own personality so to speak. The consistency issue is one I hadn't considered, thanks for posting that.
  •  
    Smittythesmoker has some good advice.

I started off with a large, then medium, then small and a mini.

Doing it all over, 2 larges and a mini for me.

GG
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    If you both use them then it'll never matter who uses which one. And the parts(raised grid, PS, etc) are interchangable.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I went with a second large egg, NO regrets whatsoever.
    Used them both for tonights dinner, Baker egg was busy with rustic bread. Smoker egg was busy with ribeye roast. Both cookin at the same time....harmony.
    Perfect meal and a lot of fun cookin.
    Happy New Year
  • I had two Larges cranking tonight. Cooking Pizzas on one and had 3 butts going on the other. Tomorrow AM, I'll put a Turkey on while the 3 butts are finishing. For me, two larges are just perfect!

Happy New Year!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    If you are thinking medium...then get the large. ;)

Then next year get the small or mini, cause they both rock!
  • Hi folks. I had already decided that I had to get a second one as well. Are there any table plans that fit two large BGEs? I can't even imagine being able to lift the table and move it. I consider myself strong even at my age (52) but I struggle with my table. I don't think my LBGE is centered correctly on the table to get the right weight distribution. But then again, I don't really plan to move it that often.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    when I added my second large, I cut a second hole in my table, they sit side by side, works out pretty good, and I am very happy with the 2 large combunation. I would like to add a small in the future for the portable option
    Kendell
  • Pa_BBQ
    Pa_BBQ Posts: 132
    This is the same reason I will be adding another large, I may get the nest for this one, or possibly cut a second hole in my table.

I will need a second plate setter and pizza stone, when we have pizza night we cook 4 pizza's this would make it much easier.
    Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • Angela
    Well you all have convinced me, large it is.
  • I bought a small a few weeks ago to accompany my large. I like it, but I think I would prefer a second large. It would be nice to do a low and slow on one large and a pizza.

Oh well, I might have to get a second large in a year or two ;)