Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Ny strip roast question

egginator
egginator Posts: 569
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a 14 and 15 lb NY strip roast tonight. I have a large and was thinking I'd cut them in half and cook with inverted spider, pizza stone, 16" drip pan and a rack. Any guesses on how long they might take at around 325?

DSC00305.jpg

Thanks,

Ed

Comments

• It's been a while since I cooked a big beef roast, but it seems that 15 minutes a lb. was the rule...for medium rare.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Generally 15-20 minutes per pound, per roast.....not total weight. If you want med rare, pull at 122* internal, and allow a good 30 minute rest before carving. You are putting a huge amount of cow in at once, you may want to stabilize about 375-400* before adding the meat, then adjust vents accordingly when the Egg recovers. (Make sure you have the platesetter and such in the egg for the heating process so the setter doesn't suck the heat.)
  • Crap - I looked up a couple of these cooks that I did on my blog, but I didn't track the total time. I just cooked to temp. Dyna's suggestion sounds reasonable. Use a remote thermometer if you have one, to ensure you don't overcook. If possible, leave yourself a bit of a window in either direction to be sure.

Here's something to occupy your mind while you wait... last NY Sirloin 12 pounder I did ...

Slicing%20meat%203.jpg

Good luck...

-John
  • Hey - you guys made it back from the great frozen north OK? Hopefully your Egg-less lamb roast came out good. My mother in law refused our offer to bring the Egg do do the turkey, and managed to actually make a pretty good one in her new oven.

-John
  • Thanks! Remote ET-73 just crapped out. Oregon Scientific back-up also not working... Therma pen still in business though. Time to start prep work...

Happy New Year!!

Ed
  • You too!

I'm not cooking tonight...just drinking. :silly:

-John
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Me too. B)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    LOL...Yes thanks...back, and nearly thawed now. ;) The lamb...I must admit...though cooked in the oven, was absolutely amazing....and we even (ssshhhhH!!!! Grilled some racks of lamb on the gasser!!! Shhhhh!!!) It all turned out amazing....thanks for asking. ;) And thanks again for everything. :)