Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Unofficial Newbie Silly Question Thread

Options
Big Red Egg
Big Red Egg Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everyone.

I've spent most of the last 48 hours reading these forums and other BGE sites (don't tell my boss). Lots to learn and it's been fun. My sister gave me a medium BGE for Christmas, and I'm very excited. I live in Atlanta and will pick it up next week. I've always wanted one but never could pull the trigger as I'm very frugal and have a gas grill that works ok.

Here are my questions, and ones I hope other newcomers learn from or y'all get a kick out of:

1. How much does a bag of lump charcoal cost and how many cooks do you get out of it? Which might be asking how much it costs per cook (on average).

2. Where do you put the ash? Can you dump it in the yard? In a flower bed? Or just in the trash can?

3. I'll be upgrading to the large and building my own table. I will also buy the plate setter, the ash tool and some lump charcoal. Any other immediate needs? I'm mostly cooking for a family of 4 but come Spring I'll host some parties. Do I need that grill grabber thingie?

4. When and why do you use a drip pan? Just for poultry? Just to keep the fire going and/or keep it clean? Do you/can you cook potatoes or something in it while juices drip on them?

5. What do you do with the drippings? Dump them in the garden, over the railing? Wait for them to cool and rinse down the sink? Use for gravy?

6. Is flashback common? I don't want to blow myself up and have a weird paranoia about oven explosions and such.

7. I forgot what 7 was.

8. Are the grill tiered platform thingies only really used for low and slow cooking? When I see one used in a photo it seems to be a low and slow indirect setting. What if I want to grill 100 burgers at once. Can I used that platform thing? Probably not, right?

9. I'm all for saving money. Is there a way BGE can help me with this? Cook 5 birds at once and freeze them? Buy bulk meat? I'm trying to find a way I can think this isn't just another expense for me.

10. Why don't they make Big Red Eggs? It's my favorite color.

Thanks and Happy New Years!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Great questions...you will get lots of good answers

#9...you will save money by eating out a LOT less....we used to go have pizza twice a month...we haven't been for pizza in almost 2 years...

Welcome to the club...
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Big Red Egg wrote:
    Hello Everyone.

I've spent most of the last 48 hours reading these forums and other BGE sites (don't tell my boss). Lots to learn and it's been fun. My sister gave me a medium BGE for Christmas, and I'm very excited. I live in Atlanta and will pick it up next week. I've always wanted one but never could pull the trigger as I'm very frugal and have a gas grill that works ok.

Here are my questions, and ones I hope other newcomers learn from or y'all get a kick out of:

1. How much does a bag of lump charcoal cost and how many cooks do you get out of it? Which might be asking how much it costs per cook (on average).

2. Where do you put the ash? Can you dump it in the yard? In a flower bed? Or just in the trash can?

3. I'll be upgrading to the large and building my own table. I will also buy the plate setter, the ash tool and some lump charcoal. Any other immediate needs? I'm mostly cooking for a family of 4 but come Spring I'll host some parties. Do I need that grill grabber thingie?

4. When and why do you use a drip pan? Just for poultry? Just to keep the fire going and/or keep it clean? Do you/can you cook potatoes or something in it while juices drip on them?

5. What do you do with the drippings? Dump them in the garden, over the railing? Wait for them to cool and rinse down the sink? Use for gravy?

6. Is flashback common? I don't want to blow myself up and have a weird paranoia about oven explosions and such.

7. I forgot what 7 was.

8. Are the grill tiered platform thingies only really used for low and slow cooking? When I see one used in a photo it seems to be a low and slow indirect setting. What if I want to grill 100 burgers at once. Can I used that platform thing? Probably not, right?

9. I'm all for saving money. Is there a way BGE can help me with this? Cook 5 birds at once and freeze them? Buy bulk meat? I'm trying to find a way I can think this isn't just another expense for me.

Thanks and Happy New Years!

1. The cost varies depending on brand. Go to www.nakedwhiz.com and read their reviews on lump and pricing. Although Idk where their prices came from, and they are a little out of date. BGE lump cost about 20 a bag, and if you are just doing shorter cooks, it can last 5-10 cooks easily.

2. After my ash cool(typically just before I am cooking again) I empty mine into an ash bucket. Once that bucket is full, I just pour it in a trash bag and put it with trash.

3.Grill grabber is a must. Also get in intant read digital thermo, and a Polder or Mav(from reviews) leave in digital thermo with a cord and screen for outside the cooker. LONG GLOVES are also nice, my hair still isnt right on my right arm, and I have had my LBGE for over 4 years.

4. The drip pan is a must to keep your plate setter clean, also wrapping the PS in foil helps(just started doing this). The drip pan is also good to add liquids to for low and slow cooks, although that isn't a must. One more thing it does is keep the grease from dripping on the lump and causing odors, bad smoke, and most of all, FLARE UPS.

5. The drippings can indeed be used, just depends on what you are cooking. Standing rib roast=au jus, etc,etc. However, if you aren't gonna use them, wrap the drip pan in foil, and then once the drippings cool, just take the foil out and trash it.

6. Flashbacks: Yes they are real, and suck. Again, go to www.nakedwhiz.com and watch his video about them. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

7. Happens all the time to me......LOL.

8. Yes, you can use the grill extender on all sorts of cooks. Put meat up there for folks who don't like theirs quiet as done, or just rotate the meats from top to bottom to get even doneness on all burgers, etc.

9. Sure it can help save money. For instance, I am having a few folks over tomorrow, only needed a small boston butt, but I found two packaged together totaling 18lbs and the butcher gave me an eggcelent price, so I am smoking them all tonight and gonna freeze the pulled pork in one lb packs to use later.

10. You can get a red "egg", only it won't be an egg, it will be Komado Infinity(i think)

Happy New Year!!
  • outrageous
    Options
    a few answers. royal oak lump at walmart. 10 lb.s 6.39 bag. ashes can be dumped in flower bed. drip pan used on boston butt, turkey, chicken, or anything that produces a lot of grease that could cause a fowl order, extended grill is great for chicken, pizza etc. you will get great use out of this. plate setter, pizza stone, etc, are a must....... forgot the rest of questions, i do agree with kim,,,,, you will dine out less and enjoy eating at home more. have fun and try different meals. lot of great information on here, you will enjoy reading and playing with different methods of cooking.

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• florida Nick
    Options
    Hi Big Red,
    I have only owned my egg for less than a year but I'll try and give you a little help....

1. I usually buy Royal Oak or Cowboy brand lump which cost about 6-7 bucks a bag. How many cooks you get per bag really depends on what you're cooking and for how long. If I had to estimate the average cook isn't going to cost more than a couple dollars unless you're doing a low and slow and even then I can cook for 24hrs straight using just one bag. Also you wont burn all the lump you put in the egg every time you cook. When you shut down the egg the fire will eventually snuff out and you will be able to use the remaining lump on your next cook.

2. I put my ash in a small metal trash can that has a lid (no bag). When its full and I'm sure there are no embers I dump it in the trash. Don't see why you couldn't dump it in the yard or garden. Just make SURE there are no embers left.

3. You're going to want some sort of raised grid / multi tiered grid set up as this will be helpfull for certain cooks.

4. I use a drip pan for low and slow to keep the drippings from going on to the plate setter or into the lump. Or when I want to use a drip pan as a heat barrier for partial indirect cooking.

6. So far I haven't experienced a flash back. I'm pretty cautious when cooking at high temps and always burp the egg before opening and I guess so far I've been lucky. Although many here look at experiencing a flash back as a right of passage.

9. Get a food saver.

Good luck and have fun!
  • EggTurner
    Options
    Welcome and enjoy. Not much to add to the good answers you have already received. I put my cool ashes on the compost pile and am saving up for a Thermapen instant read. I can use the money I have saved by having a BGE (not a BRE) and doing more home cooks. Tastier than most restaurants. Have fun.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Some answers I can offer:

1. I watched how much lump I used over the course of on summer month two years ago, and I figured I was spending .55 per cook on average for lump.

2. Check to see if your soil is acid/alkaline. If acid, some ash will be good for youe garden and plants.

3. Once in a great while, the grill grabber will be essential. I use mine maybe once a year, but when I do, it really is immensely handy.

4. When grease falls onto hot coals, it forms nasty by-products. In general, it is good to avoid letting the fat dribble onto the coals.

5. Depends on the drippings, and how they were collected. If they are not scorched, they can be used for gravy. However, often enough by the end of the cook, what I have is mostly just fat. I let it congeal, then place in garbage.

6. Lots and lots of people experience a flash back at least once. It is a dramatic learning experience, and one tends to avoid it after that. The main hazard, aside from the jolt, is just burnt off fore arm hair.

7. 7 is failing to check in the middle of the night to see how the fire is doing, and waking at 7, and finding the fire went out unknown hours ago.

8. Multiple levels does mean you can cook more at once, as well as set up various pans, and heat blocks.

9. Yeah, but a couple of pork butts, and freeze it in pound bags. Many good meals from one cook. And, as mentioned, you will eat out a lot less.

10. You can have any color of Egg you want, as long as its Green.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Outrageous,

You said "royal oak lump at walmart. 20 lb.s 6.39 bag"

Really???? I find the 10# bags for that price. What Walmart are you going to? Just asking. :cheer:
  • outrageous
    Options
    senior moment. you are right, 10lbs. must have been all that boston butt i have been tasting :ohmy:

Large egg and mini max egg plus a Blackstone griddle

South Ga. cooking fool !!!!!!!!

• cdnewman
    Options
    For 2: wood ash is very potassium rich and alkaline. If you have acidic soil, you can use it in place of lime. Be cautious in using with compost- if you have a large compost pit, you'll be fine, but dumping ash from a big cook on a small compost container can really jack with the pH. Also, if it isn't raining outside, you can dust your garden soil with the ash to repel insects. Only works until it gets wet, though.

For 4: I put potatoes in my drip pan last night with a bit of EVOO, salt, pepper and rosemary from the garden. Great with chicken, also turkey.

For 5: When/if you smoke duck, the rendered duck fat in your drip pan is liquid gold. I elevate the pan and add a small amount of water to keep the fat from cooking off. Then, when cool, I skim off the fat and use the next day.

For 9: A whole chicken is cheaper/# than breast. A pain to cook in the oven, a cinch in the egg. Cheap fish like tilapia, drum, cod are kinda boring, but egg 'em with a light smoke and a simple rub and you won't miss the $20/lb halibut. I suppose if all you want to cook is steaks, you'll lose money overall, but to me one of the real values of the egg has been making cheap sources of protein taste better.
  • Big Red Egg
    Options
    Wow, I'm getting hungry.

We have a great little BBQ place near our house (Fatt Matt's, for those of you in Atlanta). At least twice a year we buy a few pounds of their pork for a party. While I like them, looks like they'll lose my business. I'll still buy their sauce though.

My wife is an amazing cook and is excited for me (and her) with this new acquisition. When she's not up for cooking, we often buy a rotisserie chicken and use it for many simple to prepare dishes (quesadillas, chicken salad, etc). They cost about $7 per, and I'm thinking I can save some money there.

The 55 cents per cook math is great and something I'd do (and just may). Thanks.

Not sure why I'm so frugal. I'd ask my dad, but we're both too cheap to pay for the call. :p
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    for question 9, buy a foodsaver :laugh: heres a link for big cooks in a large, some standing records are 20 racks of ribs, 10 whole chickens, and a 62 pound pig
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=634173&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You can forget about Fat Matts now, unless you just wanna go for the music. You now have the ability to match or exceed his ribs, although they are tasty. As for Pulled Pork, it is very easy and your first attempt will have you wondering why you would ever buy it already cooked. :)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Welcome!!!!,Glad to see such interest and initiative. I live south of Atlanta,you can contact me offline if you want to talk in person to ask questions. Your sister gave you the best gift you'll ever get. I've got three and still want more. Enjoy!
  • Big Red Egg
    Options
    Ooh, another question.

I've got a weight loss resolution that goes into effect tomorrow and unlike last year, should last well into February.

I can lose weight with a BGE, right? The lid is kinda heavy, I imagine.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Portion control. Just because you have 6 - 7 pounds of fresh PP doesn't mean you have to eat it all. Despite the temptation.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options

from 6 dollars to 30 dollars a bag. The cost depends on the size of the bag. How many cooks depends on what you are cooking and how

I put mine out to pasture.. I live on a farm. I am told they are rather acidic so the flowers wouldn't be a good choice.

What does the grip lifter have to do with having a party? Get one they are cheap..

You use a drip pan anything you are cooking stuff indirect that has a large fat content.Yes you can cook potatoes in the drippings of some foods.

They join my ash!!

Flashback occur under certain conditions. If you burp your egg every time you use it you want have to worry too much..

7. I forgot what 7 was.

That's good I forgot my answer too

Guess you didn't see my pork loin cook yesterday. 2 tiers at 375.

I cooked enough pork loin for 100 people yesterday.
    I typically cook for 300-699 people. Hope you have a really big freezer

You'll get over that :) Beside if the Egg eas Red the company wouldn't be called Big Green Egg now would it.[/color]
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hmm, not so sure about that saving money thing. I have never been too pleased with the steaks I cooked, either on the gasser years ago or on the Weber in more recent years. Therefore, I didn't DO steaks very often. Now? Well, game ON! I buy far more steak than I ever did before!

And as for pizza? I guess it's cheaper, but probably not by much. Especially if you use Italian buffalo mozz. I found some while at mom's over Christmas. 7oz, $9!! It had better be good! But if it IS and I find a local supplier, I'm in trouble!

And then there are all the accessories you will "need". Thermapen, adjustable rig, spider, pizza stone, peel, Stoker or other electronic gizmo, cover, table, grill light, rubs, sauces, etc. Oh, and lump...you will go thru a lot of that! In my first three months, I used up over 150#. Pre-egg, I doubt I used that much in three YEARS! 'Course, now I cook on the egg almost every night. Before, not nearly as often, and rarely in cold weather. Kingsford briquettes are much less expensive than most lump. And propane, if I recall, is cheaper still.

No, my friend, I don't think you'll save a lot. BUT... you will enjoy some of the best food you have ever tasted, you will make new friends, you will get to smell the wonderful aroma of hickory, oak, cherry or maple smoke wafting thru the neighborhood, you will have this fine group of folks ready and willing to offer almost instant help, menu planning, technical advice, unexpected freebies in the mail. The list goes on... and on.

Welcome to the madne$$. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Buckethead
    Options
    If you want to upgrade to a large "get the large now". Family of four you need the large. Trade your medium before you light it and get a full refund towards a large then buy all your gadgets.
    DMo
  • tankinmd
    Options
    My plants and esp. Azelas love the cold ash....
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Options
    Welcome Big Red, looks like you already got most of your answers, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Lump - you can also get an 8# bag at Publix for about $5.50. Supposedly its the same as Royal Oak from Wal-mart, but I have heard that the Publix bags don't have many large pieces.

Other Accessories - I think you'll also want a pizza stone and a raised grid. The raised grid allows you to cook direct, but not worry as much about burning the meat. Great for wings and spatchcock chicken. I made my own following Nakedwhiz's instructions.

Saving Money - not sure, but we're definitely eating in more. The Egg'd food is fantastic.

Losing Weight - not sure again, but can't you eat all the meat you want on the Atkins diet. :laugh:

Happy Egging,
    Bryan