Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Roast vs Choice

Options
Lill Prophet's Mom
Lill Prophet's Mom Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to fix the horse radish crusted prime rib for New Year's Day. The butcher told my husband we would have to special order the prime rib (not enough time to do before New Year's) but that we could go ahead and get choice rib roast. Is there much of a differance? Could we substitute choice for prime?

Comments

• HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Prime is better but choice will be fine also. I would not make that the deal breaker. That's what I think.
  • a choice rib roast is still "prime rib".

don't fret. choice is perfectly fine.
    "prime rib" doesn't mean the meat is usda graded prime, it merely means that long before the USDA started grading things, the rib roast was a prime cut of beef.

USDA even acknowledges today that it is correct to sell CHOICE rib roasts as "prime rib"
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :huh: :S .I know better than to take you on,but my old buddy Alton and a few others state that ONLY PRIME meat can/should be called PRIME RIB ROAST.Any grade below that is Standing Rib Roast.They also state that the choice makes a wonderful roast and recommend it.The price of the Prime meat is not justified for this cook.O.K.,I'm ready for the wrath. :pinch:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options

From the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service Food Standards and Labeling Policy Book, page 135:

PRIME RIB OF BEEF OR STANDING BEEF RIB ROAST FOR PRIME RIB:
    These products do not have to be derived from USDA prime grade beef.

The Policy Book
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I just did a choice roast (5lb) on xmas eve and used the same recipe. It was awesome. Just following the directions and you will be fine. No one will know the difference (if you don't tell them anyway!)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Good enough for me! ;)
  • thanks for doing the dirty work...

since the phrase "prime rib" predates the concept of "USDA Prime", and the USDA says that it is proper to call even a SELECT rib roast "prime rib" (because it is the prime chunk of steer), it may be fairly said that anyone (including Alton Brown) who says that Prime Rib must be Prime grade is, in a word, wrong.

there is no smugness emoticon available, or i would insert it here.

(kidding, hyperbole, etc.)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    B) This one works for me :laugh:
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Meat is graded into basically three catagories. Select, Choice and Prime. Select is what you see in most stores like Kroger. Sam's carries Choice. That is all I buy. The prime is saved for high end resturants and select mail order companies. It is very expensive. Prime Rib is a cut of meat and has nothing to do with the grade. You will purr with a choice hunk of mamal flesh, trust me.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    If the meat shop deals with a lot of choice rib tell him you want what hew would take home. There is better pieces in even prime beef.

Find a butcher you like and treat them as your best friend and they will take care of you.

If you can offer them a service that they need in trade that is even better. I had a person that owned a car repair and they took good care of my car and they got the best cuts of the flesh of dead animals I had that week.

Emil