Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How far in advance can you make ABTs

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have some people coming over Saturday, my Jamaican Firewalk should be here, and I want to make some ABTs for munching. Would like to have them all made and ready to grill when they arrive, but was wondering how they do being made in advance? Any thoughts?[p]mShark

Comments

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Molly,
    For the fest last week I made ABT's thursday night. Cooked half of them Saturday night because we didnt have time during the fest. Cooked half of them Sunday night. No difference in quality.
    The on caveat is that I didnt put meat in them. Your choice of meat might have some effect.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    mollyshark,[p]I have made my ABTs say the day before cooking - I find that if left out too long the bacon wrap starts to dry out.[p]If the jalopenos are fresh, the cream cheese is cold, and your PP or other stuffing is cold, then IMHO if you prepare the ABTs and plastic wrap them good on a platter and keep them in the fridge you should be good for a day or so.[p]Chuck
  • mollyshark,[p]Make them and freeze them. When ready to cook on the day of your party, take them out of the freezer.

• Blaze
    Blaze Posts: 32
    Scottie,[p]That's worked for me, I've made up a batch a couple of days in advance, froze them, and pulled out and thrown on the egg with excellent results.[p]Later [p]Blaze
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Blaze,
    does the cream cheese stand up to freezing, or do you use a different cheese. i have never frozen cream cheese,

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Blaze
    fishlessman,[p]Actually I don't use cream cheese, lately I've been doing "pizza" ABT's. It's pretty messy but good. I'll put a piece of pepperoni in the bottom, cheese, sauce, cheese, pepperoni on top. [p]Later [p]Blaze
  • Blaze
    fishlessman,[p]BTW, I'm not officially on the Atkins Diet, but try to generally eat low carb, so it's a pretty good substitute when I start craving pizza.[p]Blaze
  • fishlessman,[p]I use chunks of mozzarella and chicken chunks. I don't know why cream cheese wouldn't work though.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    Blaze, wish you said that earlier today. after 40 pounds and 2.5 months, i ate my first pizza today. making those would have been a better substitute. pizza is a weekness and you may have just shown me the way around those carbs.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Blaze
    fishlessman,
    Congrats on the loss, I've dropped about 24 pounds in the last 2 months. I have eaten some high carb meals and still enjoy a Miller Lite or two. I feel ya' on the pizza though, Papa Johns is my nemesis!

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Blaze,[p]You'll never go back to any of the chains once you've had egged pizza...![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Blaze
    QBabe,[p]I am really working up the nerve to do that. I've got all the tools-EGG, platesetter, pizza stone, and appetite...BUT the thought of making the dough is pretty wild, I've never tried to be a baker.[p]Looks like you guys had a blast at Florida Fest, I'm hoping there will be another one forthcoming that I can make it to, been to busy lately to plan anything![p]Later[p]Blaze
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    <BUT the thought of making the dough is pretty wild, I've <never tried to be a baker.[p]If you live in an area where there are Trader Joe stores, they have several varieties of pre-made dough in the refrigerated section. You just have to stretch/roll it out.[p]****