Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Guru DigiQ

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Who uses them? Are they worth it for these low and slow cooks? Judging on looks and concept alone....I would say heck yeah.....but I don't have any experience with one. Who does?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Get one...you will be glad you did.

I use it for a lot of things other than lo & slo's.

There was a lot going on on Christmas so I put the 8# Prime rib on and set the Q for 325. I checked on it once and that is al...

I am doing jerky this weekend and it wil be instrumental in keeping the BGE at 150

get one...you will be glad you did.
  • c tredwell
    Options
    I wish I had one now... put 16 lbs of butts on at 7 this evening. Temp stable at 275, but I'll be up every couple of hours to check temp :pinch: Should take between 16-20 hours.. If you long cook more than once a month, get one!
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Which one do you recommend Kim? Also, how bout shoot me that jerky recipe and method! :)
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I have a Stoker, which does the same thing. It really helps for long low and slow cooks. Sometimes I am even lazy and use it for shorter cooks. It is not a necessity however it provides enough peace of mind that I sleep much better during those overnight cooks.

Good Luck.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    This is a CyberQ II from BBQGuru. I use it as often as I need it and the tech support is out of this world.

http://www.thebbqguru.com/products/CyberQ-II-Package.html

000_1050.jpg
  • LESAGEMIKE
    Options
    I love my DigiQ almost as much as my Thermopen! :laugh:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Wouldn't like to do an overnight with out it. I work shift work and sleep is a rare commodity. Since days are nights and nights are days to me if I get up at night to check the fire even once I may be threw sleeping for the night. With the Guru I start my butt or what ever around 22:OO. Hit the bed by 23:00 and sleep till 9:00 or 10:00 next morning. Never get up and never worry. Ramp mode makes sure it will not over cook.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I just got one for Christmas and, after a few fits and starts on my first cook, it's worked well. I have a few quibbles, but all in all, it's a handy little temperature controller.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    I have one. I bought it about a year after I had the EGG. While not absolutely necessary it is a nicety. I have the Digi Q II. I purchased mine from the mothership in ATL, and have slept quite comfortably since owning it.

I do recommend getting to know your EGG, before buying one though. Remember this cooking device was developed 1000s of years ago. If it's good enough for a 1500 year old Japanese chef then it should definitely work today.
  • greennewb
    Options
    I clicked on the link and saw that the DigiQ II was for two pits. I only have the one egg. Can I save money by purchasing the original DigiQ?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I have both the DigiQII and the Stoker, love them both.

Great for low and slows, or any time you want to the egg to cook and you don't want to deal with the settings.

Light the lump in several places and if using the q2 I also use the Maverick ET-73 to monitor the cook remotely.

I would get a Thermapen and Adjustable Rig and Spider before getting a power vent system, but after that and if the money was available, the next purchase would be a PVS (well maybe a second egg).

GG
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    greennewb, The DigiQII is for one egg or pit. It's the CyberQII that has the ability to control two pits. I also see they have this; (I merely copy and past this paragraph in here)

The DigiQ DX is the latest version of the DigiQ controller. We have updated the realy so that it can power two 25 cfm fans. There is no need to purchase the Power Raptor (power booster) with this unit.

I have the CyberQII but I only have one pit but I was planning for my future. ;)

I suggest calling BBQGuru there number is on their web site I think it is 800-288-GURU. Tim
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I have a Stoker. Draft controllers are useful any time you could use a spare set of eyes to mind your Egg while you are doing other things.

Mark
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I will do my first jerky this weekend. I will let everyone know how it goes. I have gotten lots of good advice from the Eggsperts.