Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE XL

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this has been asked humdreds of times, however I am in the market for an egg and cannot decide whether I should get the Large or XL. I hear many good things about both. Does the XL have enough vertical room for say Beer Can Chicken? If so, can I put multiple fryers on the XL? I am accustomed to using my weber kettle and I think this is why the diameter of the Large worries me. I see that I can stack vertically in the large with tiers, but I really like the diameter of the XL. I am also a HUGE fan of pork steaks and require more diameter to lay them flat rather than vertically like in a rib rack. Can anyone help me? I figured this would be the place to turn.

Comments

• Sparky,

Thank you for the reply. I have looked through that thread and it did answer many of the question I already had however did not really address (that I can see) the vertical room issue. I am sold on the XL with that exception. Do you (or anyone else) have an XL? Are there any issues cooking vertical/beer can chickens? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    I've seen 5 or 6 vertical chickens on an XL before.I've never done it in my XL though ;)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Options
    BTW: Here's a pic of 6 Boston butts in my XL if that helps ;)

DSC_0031-6.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    If portability is not an issue, the XL will be great for you. You can do several beer can birds. I have both the L and XL. I use the XL more now.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Sparky,

This roasting pan won't fit on a large.
    DSC_0058-3.jpg
    Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• florida Nick
    Options
    TJH,
    I have an XL and there is definitely room for plenty of verticle chickens. I'm pretty sure I could do a verticle turkey if i wanted to.
    You should also check out the ceramicgrillstore.com there you can see some great accessories that can really give you some versitility with the XL.
    Like you I also like to have a large diameter cooking area to work with and you definitely get that with the XL. I also purchased and made some multilevel racks to accomodate several different types of cooks...and i've only had my XL for about a year.
    And I just received my favorite accessory yet for Xmas....a small BGE :woohoo:
    Now I'm really set!

Good luck
    Nick
  • newegglander
    Options
    Here is a picture with 12 butts. I removed the "upper ring" and placed two layers on top of that. The plate setter was touching the lump in the fire box at the start of the cook. I did it for a charity and we sold out!! (Don't remember how many sandwiches)

http://gallery.me.com/lcpollard#100221
  • greennewb
    Options
    Most people on here have a large egg. While that is fine, they have "penis envy" over the XL's. I love the grill space. I don't have to be creative when I put meat on. I just drop it on and go.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    greennewb,

Apparently, you are an eggspert! I wish you had imparted your knowledge before I acquired my 4 large eggs. There are several folks here with multiple large eggs that could have used that information too. I do have an XL and, while it is a great cooker, I thought it did have some shortcomings. That must be a figment of my imagination. Thanks!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    What are some of the shortcomings of the XL ?
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    That is the second time you have said that about Large Egg owners. I can assure you I do not envy XL owners.

My first Egg was an XL, but I bought it not based on capacity. I bought it based on price.

I can tell you my large eggs (all six of them) have more then enough capacity to feed an army. In fact they do so on a regular basis.

Personally I'd rather lug around 140 pounds of ceramic then to lug around 200 pounds of ceramic.

Let's try and be a little less descriptive with your opinion..
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    BGE has a new deeper XL in the dome. I own an older version of an XL and have done several vertical chickens. However, I now prefer spatchcock chicken and would not go back to vertical. Just my .02. Oh, I also own a LGE and cook on it more than the XL.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    200 pounds, uses more fuel, dome is lower (least till they release the new one). Need more!!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    GTIPROD,

I meant no disrespect to XL owners. I am one. I was taken aback by the "envy" comment. The dome geometry of the older XL limits it's capability. That is why it has been through a redesign. The hinge mechanism is a little light for the mass of the dome. I just got a little ticked off by the comment.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Now be nice,, maybe he's just compensating :whistle: :laugh:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    This is a pre-recorded message:

I often hear that the large does not have the capacity to cook for a large family.

Let me tell you that is a lot of bull. When my family gets together we are typically 20+. My XL sits there and wishes I would use him.

So here is my proof:

Please note the amount of sausage on this egg:
    IMG_8030-020.jpg

6 7-9 pound butts on this egg:

IMG_8055-033.jpg

Just for contrast please note the amount of meat on this Lang 60:

IMG_8059-035.jpg

I cooked 18 butts on 3 eggs and took up less space.

My XL gets used when I cater and even then it's only used for something that may not physically fit on my large and can't be cut into smaller chunks.

Ohh did I tell you I have 2 small eggs too. You will NOT be disappointed with the Egg, unless you fail to learn how to use it or don't use it. Many of us use it as our primary cooking source year round.

It is a personal choice!!
  • EGGARY
    Options
    You have said you plan on getting the new XL when it comes out. Or just the top dome ?

Gary
  • Little Steven
    Options
    GTIPROD,

I think I would get the new and sell the old.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Pat,

Just hate that little guy thing. Know what I mean?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    :whistle::whistle::whistle: I have no idea what your talking about :blush::lol:
  • EGGARY
    Options
    Have you seen the new XL ? I take it isn't being sold yet.

I am curious to see what it looks like.
  • Well, I did it. After reading some of the responses earlier, I got inspired and purchased a brand new XL(and believe it or not I got the wife on board! Not sure how I was able to manage that but I will prefer to view it as fate). I will have it first thing tomorrow morning. I can't wait!

I was pleasantly suprised to see all of the responses when I returned. Thank you to all who posted ... you definately helped. As soon as I get her set up I will officially register and create a handle.

On a side note, I read a post that there is an eggfest in Peoria, IL? I am close to St Louis and wouldn't mind making that trip. If someone has any information on this could you please forward it?
  • EGGARY
    Options
    What took you so long ? 6 hours from your initial post. LOL. You were dead set on the XL. You made a good choice. You got an EGG !

Now the hard part, what is going to be your first cook ?

Look into getting a Lump Reducer from the Ceramic Grilling Store. It will save you on lump charcoal. I use mine all the time.

Congrats and it must be nice to have your wife on board.

Happy New Year.

Gary
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I'm sure you will love your XL. I love mine. (And my medium). I use them about the same. For the XL, check out the accessories at the TheCeramicGrillStore.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=101&Itemid=231

I use the flip ring and the lump reducer a lot. They make the XL very versatile.

I don't have a large, but I've not seen any issue with the XL. Love the large grid for burgers and cooking meat and sides, and use my XL for low and slows. Use the medium for smaller cooks (spatchcock chicken, fish, sausage, chicken breast, etc.)

Anyway - welcome and enjoy the XL!
  • Which Lump Reducing Ring do you use ... the solid or open wall? Do you use this just for grilling or for long and slow cooks as well? Seems like you would run out of lump using this for a long cook, but what do I know??? LOL
  • EGGARY
    Options
    I have the open wall reducer. I haven't done a lo and slo cook yet. I primarily grill.
  • greennewb
    Options
    Note to self: Never post after enjoying many beers! I want to sincerely apologize for the earlier post. I don't want to be afraid to come on this forum. I love this forum and I love my egg. And I think that any egg you have is better than not having one at all.
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    It means a lot to stand up and correct yourself. I think it will go long way here with most of the crowd. The XL does get beat up a lot mostly by people that don't own one. I love my XL as I do Larges and my small. They all have their strong points and I would not part with any of them. Often I will break out the XL just because of the real estate. For several racks of ribs or a large Packer there is no question, the XL is the tool for the job. It doesn't consume much more lump than the Large at least not enough to get worked up over. ;)
  • greennewb
    Options
    I appreciate that panhandle. I'm really not a bad guy!!!!!! I love to get on here and look at all the pictures of the wonderful food cooked on the egg. Makes me hungry!