Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traditional Catalan flatbread

Tractor
Tractor Posts: 288
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WOW! This was so good. The Spanish version of pizza is called Coca. They do not feature tomato sauce nor cheese. Very often they feature roasted red pepper and anchovies and almost always have some manchego grated over them.

I made a batch of these for Christmas Eve using my normal pizza setup. I'm fixin them again tomorrow night and I think I'm gonna start making some of my pizzas using this dough recipe. I've heard that in Italy the pizza crust is more like this flatbread consistency. I love thin crust pizza!

This coca has a bed of carmelized onion, roasted red pepper, black olives, manchego cheese, high quality anchovy filets, drizzled w/evoo, a little coarse sea salt and some chives. (chives were added after this was taken). I may make these for Eggtoberfest 2010.

cocadecebolla.jpg

Comments

• Looks very good. How about posting the recipe.

GG
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    You are right about the crust in Italy being more like flatbread. Your's looks great!! Willing to share your recipe? I'd like to compare it to mine.
    Also, are you sure of that name and spelling? I can't find it in both of my food 'dictionaries".
    Thanks for sharing!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    They do look delishious.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    WOW!Looks GREAT.I like the idea of NO tomatoe/pizza sauce!
  • Tractor
    Thanks! "coca de cebolla" is essentially this Catalan region flatbread (coca) with caramelized onions (cebolla). It's definitely off the beaten path for most of America! If you do a web search you're going to find you need to understand Spanish for most of the search results.

Here's how I made them:

Coca ingredients:
    2 envelopes active dry yeast
    1/2 cup whole milk, room temp
    1 cup and 3 Tbs all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp sea salt

Keep in mind that authentic cocas are long and narrow. Try to keep them a couple inches wide and 10 inches long. That's the right shape. Once you have your dough ready, preheat the Egg to 450 with your pizza setup. I started at 350, but liked the results on my latter cocas that were baked around 450.

Stir the yeast into the milk. I used my stand mixer with dough hook to mix the dough. You could go manual for this, though. Add the salt to the flour in a mixing bowl. Then add the yeast mixture to that and mix until fully combined. You're not kneading yet.

Now cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a damp towel and allow dough to rise for 30 minutes. Next, knead the dough 5 minutes and then cut into 8 equal slices. Form these into balls. On a floured work surface, roll each ball out to form a 2 x 10 oval strip. Prick the dough a few times with a fork. The flatbreads are now ready to be topped and baked!

Topping ingredients:
    1 Vidalia onion, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup evoo
    20 pitted black olives, chopped coarsly
    3 sweet red peppers, roasted, cut into 1/2" wide strips the longer the better
    (traditionally these are Spanish piquillo peppers. They are hard to find and are apparently very expensive. I found some cool, long sweet red peppers at Whole Foods.) You can buy some jarred roasted peppers, but why not go ahead and roast some of your own on the Egg??
    12 anchovy filets
    6 oz Manchego cheese, grated
    EVOO for drizzling
    Sea salt
    2 Tbs chives, chopped

Caramelize your onions in the 1/4 cup evoo. This should take about 30 min over medium-lo heat. Set aside.

On the large BGE pizza stone you can fit 3 of these comfortably, so try working with 3 at a time. However you work with pizza dough to get it onto your stone, that's what you're doing here as well, except with 3 pieces instead of 1. I have a Super Peel which makes it really easy!

Put 3 of the cocas on your peel. Spread caramelized onion generously onto each one, followed by some of the chopped olives. Bake these on the Egg for 8-10 minutes until you can see they're getting crisp. Then take'em up.

Now back in the kitchen, you're gonna add a decent amt of Manchego cheese, a couple nice 1/2 inch strips of roasted red pepper, a couple of anchovies, a sprinkle of sea salt and a drizzle of evoo to each one. Then back on the Egg for just a couple of minutes. Watch carefully, because you want them to be crispy brown...not black. Sprinkle some chopped chives and go to town!! ENJOY!
  • cookn biker
    Thanks so very much!! I will be doing this!!
    Happy 2010!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Tractor
    You are very welcome! Think you're gonna love it!
  • Tractor
    A sidenote... For people who don't like anchovies, I'd switch them out for some portuguese sausage or maybe even a little chorizo. Both of those I'd remove from the casing and sparingly add on top. Not as authentic as anchovies, but would probably be pretty delicious. Just be sure to cook the sausage 1st, because the 2 minutes of baking once the sausage is added will not be enough to cook it!
  • cookn biker
    I know I will and I'll let you know!! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Thank you - those look wonderful!

Any thoughts on rolling out the little doughballs using a pasta roller?
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • cookn biker
    OK, so where are you at? I can't get good linguica here to save my life. My friend in Connecticut, who is from RI won't get off his a** to hook me up.
    Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Tractor
    Nashville, TN. LOL We have linquica at Publix, I'm pretty sure. Maybe try Whole Foods or even Walmart Super Stores? I have some all-natural Chorizo from Whole Foods I'm gonna try tomorrow night, but I think linguica would be more authentic.
  • Tractor
    It could be worth a try. I'd be concerned it might shape the dough too wide, but maybe if you preshape the dough going into the pasta roller more oblong, it could work. It's pretty easy to flour your standard roller and knock'em out! Let me know your results with the pasta roller!
  • cookn biker
    No, no, no, they are not good at all. I've had the real deal from the east coast. I'd rather make my own. Plenty of brands of chorizo here. The good brands are Old Timer, BUT, they have started cooking all of thier sausages. I loved the raw product. It was different. So they are out. Local brands are Boulder sausage, great chorizo. Also Sara's Sausage.
    Sadly no linguica.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • mkc
    mkc Posts: 544
    Will do! I'm only thinking of the pasta roller because I envision making a large batch for wine club sometime - that means making a triple batch...

But I might just have to test-drive them this weekend ;)
    Egging in Crossville, TN
  • Tractor
    Haha! I hear ya. Well, some latino markets around here MAY have something worth using...of course, I prefer the anchovy version anyway. I know salt cod is another Spanish mainstay. Perhaps pieces of that would be enjoyed by those who don't like anchovies.