Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling Portabella Tops?? Help!!

Options
Ala-Egg
Ala-Egg Posts: 162
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I are going to grill portabella mushroom tops over the weekend. What temp? Indirect or direct?

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    I cook mine at about 350 direct for about 10 minutes a side. The last ones I did, I first covered pretty well in some rub (Dizzy Pig Cow Lick) and started grilling gill-side (bottom) down. After about 7 minutes I flipped them and cooked for an additional 7 minutes. I then filled it in with some mozzarella cheese and let it grill for an additional 5 minutes. We then ate them hamburger style (on a bun with mustard,ketchup, lettuce and tomato) and they were delicious.
  • Ala-Egg
    Ala-Egg Posts: 162
    Options
    Thanks Wise One, we are going to make little pizzas out of them, but the grilling part should be the same, thanks for the help!!
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I like to slather with melted butter while grilling direct at 350ish.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    This is REALLY GOOD!

SMOTHERED PORTABELLA MUSHROOM CAPS
    North Portage Smoke-Shack
    From JB with inspiration from Pat in Melbourn, FL

1)) Start with 4 to 6 large caps (about 12 to 16 oz.), stems removed.
    Mix together about 2 T. olive oil, about 1/2 C. red wine, a dash of salt and fresh ground mixed pepper. Put mushrooms and the mix in a sealed bag, turning to coat well, and refrigerate for at least an hour.

2)) Fire the Egg and stabilize at 400 F.

Meanwhile:
    Sauté your choice of a topping in about 1 T. olive oil.
    I like a mix of onion, garlic, sweet peppers, mild peppers and a bit of hot pepper.

3)) Using a raised grid (3-1/2 to 4"), cook direct with "gill side" down for about 8 to 10 minutes.

4)) Remove, flip and top the caps like a pizza.
    My toppings (most often used) are a thin smearing of "Clasico" Basel Pesto, the saute' mix and then topped with a mix of cheeses (chedder, motzarella, jack and fetta.

5)) Return to the grill, cooking until the cheese is bubbley (about 5 minutes).
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I really like to remove the stem and then use a teaspoon to remove the gills. They are actually a little bitter and IMHO it improves both the appearance and the flavor.

Smear a little pesto inside the cap and then top as desired with cheese, prosciutto, etc.

I cook them direct, on a raised grate, at about 350-375 and never flip them over.