Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

et73 pit probe question

Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where do you put the probe for a good dome temperature reading?I am thinking the same hole that your original thermometer.A present left under the tree and cant wait to give it a good work out.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Go to radio shaft and get a set of alligator clips from the pieces parts section.. The probe fits in the hole of the clip just right. Just clip it to the probe on the dome thermometer.
  • Darnoc
    Cool.I appreciate the info and such a fast response.Have a happy News year Pete.
  •  
    Bill, place the clip just above the line on the tip of the dome thermometer, about 1/4" above the tip. You don't want the clip on the read section of the dome thermometer. Don't get too concerned when the dome thermometer and the remote probe don't read the same, as they usually don't.

If the dome thermometer is calibrated then take the delta between the dome thermometer and the pit probe and add/subtract that difference from the read out when looking at the remote.

The clips are also avalable at Walmart and auto supply stores, and electronic parts stores. If the neck of the alligator clip is too loose crimp before then slide the probe in the clip. Don't take a chance on crushing the probe.

Kent
  • Darnoc
    Thanks for the info.I am using a Tel Tru thermometer so I would assume the same rules are going to apply.
  • I moved the clip of my EGG dome thermometer to the outside of the egg so I can remove it when placing large chunks of meat in. I pull the egg therm out and put the ET probe in. I also reveiw the two temp readings during the swap to ensure everything is peachy.