Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Feedback Wanted, Might help Newbie Rib Roast Cooks

Options
Smoking Coles
Smoking Coles Posts: 230
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey guys, I think I know the answer to my own question, but am curious as to all of your thoughts. I cooked a 9lb Rib Roast for Christmas Eve and it turned out good except it was too done for my tastes. I did it at 325 indirect and pulled it at 123 degrees internal. I had to transport it to my families about and hour away. I wrapped in foil and put it in a cooler with towels and the 10 lb pork butt I also did. When I carved it about 2 hours later, it was more on the medium well side than the med rare I was shooting for. I assume since I cooked it at 325 and wrapped in towels that it continued to cook a good deal more than it would have if I had done it at 250 and just tented for the rest. The family liked it, but I wasn't pleased.

Is my thinking correct? If you cook at a hotter temp, should you pull it well before your internal target temp? And if you cook at a lower temp pull it slightly before your target? I also assume wrapping and putting it in the cooler kept it cooking longer than just tenting? Thoughts?

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    250 is too low for a rib roast.

All big cuts of meat continue to cook regardless of the temp you cooked it at. The bigger the primal the more it will cook.

Next time pull it at 115 if you are going to travel an hour and a half.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    By cooking at a higher temperature and monitoring the center of the roast, you will get more doneness then you expected. Personally, since rib roast is fatty, I cook mine at 250 dome temps, indirect, after allowing them to come up to room temp (3 hrs). I did a high sear with the one I cooked a few days ago for 10 minutes to get a crust without over cooking the roast. I pulled at 120 meat temp and the roast was perfectly medium rare throughout. You can also cook a rarer roast then throw individual slices on a hot pan to get to medium or well done (ugh). Bring the meat temp up slow and you will get closer to your intended doneness.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i think all your assumptions are correct as well as what celtic said about the size of the roast, bigger having more carryover. maybe next time have a separate cooler, keep the lid off til you see the internal temp stop rising and start dropping 1 or 2 degrees, then put the cover on the cooler. hard to plan for 2 hours travel time
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    I really wonder why you say 250 too low for a rib roast. I would agree if you want to cook faster then 250 is too low. Still I think there are many ways to achieve a good result.

I did a 9# on Dec 23 doing 250 indirect (~20min/lb), then played 9 holes of golf, came back, pulled at ~115 (tented in foil), cranked up the egg, did a sear (direct), tented in foil for a +15 min, deboned/sliced, and it was great! Was probably around 135F when I sliced. I've done several this way and they have all been great!

Wishing you all the best!
  • you are right, you can certainly "slow roast" a rib roast. it's done all the time.

as to smoking coles' question, there will be less inertia when you wrap the thing and carry it to grandma's than one done at 325. if you pull a roast cooked at 250 and one cooked at 350 when both are 125 internal, the roast being cooked at 350 should carry over further

i wouldn't begin to guess how to time that cook though. how to make sure it's 125 when you pull in to dinner an hour away? heck, i can barely tell my wife within an hour when mine will be done.

:laugh:
  • RU Eggsperienced
    Options
    Agree 100% on pulling earlier if you are transporting. 2hr drive with a standing rib roast is very tough to time..

Also agree on the wife thing - I've definitely gotten a few looks regarding the finish time.... Thank goodness mine is really flexible (think I'll keep her another 19yrs)... :laugh: