Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pinching Tails and Sucking Heads

Options
Frank from Houma
Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Short visit back to Houma to visit friends and family and pulling the Geaux Tiger boat back to Corpus today.

boatcrop-1.jpg

Have come to find out that Corpus is the home of not one good seafood restaurant. We were warned by the locals that we would be disappointed and it is surprising that a Gulf Coast city is lacking in a good seafood restaurant. So while we were in town we got our fill of oysters, soft shell crabs, gumbo, corn and crab soup, and last night topped it off with some mudbugs. Although very early for crawfish, these were mightyfine.

IMG_0708800x600.jpg

IMG_0715800x600.jpg

IMG_0707800x600.jpg

IMG_0716800x600.jpg

Stirring my traveling companion's bones and hitting the road B)

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thats some mighty fine looking fare! :P
  • Susan Egglaine
    Options
    Have fun!!!!! Thanks for the pics ;)
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    I love Mudbugs! :woohoo: :woohoo: I help with a crawfish boil several times a year for the guys at work.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Those are some fine looking mudbugs! I love to suck the head of the crawfish to get the spice, but I have to admit, it takes a couple of shots of tequila to get in the mood. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Frank from Houma
    Options
    Laissez les bon temps rouler! is the name of my XL :woohoo:

IMG_2228800x600.jpg
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Very fitting. I can't think of a better name for a BGE. :):):)

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Frank, I assume that is french for something. Would you care to elaborate the meaning? :) Tim
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Tim,

It's Cajun French meaning "Let the good times roll". It's a literal translation from the English words and a Frenchman would never say anything like that.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    Frank, my sons girlfriend if from LA and they spent Christmas there and also found some fresh mudbugs. He said he got pretty good at pinching the tails before they were gone, I think his girlfriend helped him some. :laugh: I don't think he got up to sucking heads though. :laugh: :laugh: Mike
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    Wow, it is early for crawfish. I do a big boil every May and havent even thought about it yet.
    Were they small?
    I hope this is a good year for them. Last year wasn't so great. Every 4 years I think....
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Gary. In the fall of 1984 or 1985 I stayed in a type of KOA camp outside of Eunice. I stayed there through the Winter and for Mardi Gra and left then shortly after. I was making my way to Bradenton Florida because I had a friend there I was sure he would give me a job and he did. Anyway, I sure had a good time there at Eunice. I will never forget those times!

The reason I was down there was because I was traveling with a band of Gypsys who painted barn roofs. I had strong ties with the family I was traveling with because I grew up with two of them. The reason I went with them that year was because I was leaving the small Wisconsin town I was living in to get out and see other places and start a new life. Anyway, I would ride around with these Gypsys looking for work in a pickup truck full of paint and ask to paint the barn or the roof and I was there helper. In Cajun country we learned that when we stopped to ask they would tell us to "Get out" so we got back in the truck to leave and found out they were offering us to get out of the truck to talk :laugh: . We would ask to paint the barn roof and they called it the "Top". So, then when we stopped to ask to paint and were told to "Get out" we would ask "That Top be for you?" and if it was than that meant it was there barn and we would tell them we could paint it for a certain amount of money. I also learned that certain people from Louisiana were "Coon-ass" and proud of it! I was in my twenties and I learned a lot that year! ;) Tim
  • TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    I'm not sure about the size, I didn't get to see them and my son has not seen them enough to be a judge if they were small or not. The family he was with was surprised to find them also but they just had to have some. Mike
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Good story, Tim.

I got banned from another BBQ forum for referring to the Cajun forum members as coonasses. I tried to explain to the moderator that it was an endearing term, but to no avail. Even the coona... I mean Cajuns chimed in and said they weren't offended at all.

If you are not from a certain area, you can easily be misinterpreted, and vice versa. I remember George and Laura Bush were watching a parade, and the University of Texas marching band went by. They both gave the "hook 'em horns" sign. In Europe, people were outraged because that sign is some kind of satanic gesture over there. :laugh: :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• DAC2
    DAC2 Posts: 66
    Options
    I grew up in CC and I feel your pain. Just got back from New Orleans and WOW seafood paradise!! Best I found in CC is Water Street and thats not saying much! Hope Texas beats Alabama for you!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Your right Gary. :ohmy: Different ones sometimes take things out of context and I hope I didn't offend anyone. Tim ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    The good thing is I have ate a lot of crawfish and sucked a lot of brains! :P ;)

The bad thing is it never helped me any! :( :laugh:

I also drank a lot of beer in doing so. :side:
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi Frank,

Glad to see you found some sea food. I would live on sea food if I were rich. LOL. Hard to believe that Corpus doesn't have any good seafood restaurants but then fishing in the Gulf isn't what it used to be. I go into the local fish market and all the grouper is imported and the prices are through the roof!
    I can sympathize with you, Fort Myers doesn't have a photography store. I have to drive to Naples or Sarasota or buy on line. :(

Have a Happy New Years and travel safe,

Gator

• Texhead
    Options
    A little off-topic but next time you are in Corpus try Snoopy's for fried seafood. GREAT fish and chips. I also like the Yardarm for seafood. Small little place on Ocean drive attached to a motel. Bright yellow. Can't miss it.

Texhead
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Frank!

Like I said in ATL - your GT boat blows me away.

Crawfish looks great, been a while since I've had some. Used to always get them on sales calls to Monroe, LA.

Cheers!
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    I lived in Corpus for over a year, and left at the end of last year. I had a great time there and met a lot of great people, including my current girlfriend who still lives there.

I never tried the Yardarm, but I heard its open seasonally. I think the owners leave Corpus during the winter (from what I heard).

I never found a good seafood restaurant in Corpus. Water St was good, but too expensive, so it wasn't worth it for me. Snoopy's is good, and you can't beat that place when the weather is perfect and the sun is setting. Its a great location.

I always frequented B&J's pizza. My goal was to get 150 beers before I left Corpus, which I did. I did it in 4 months, so I had about 8 months to enjoy my large mug there :laugh:

For any Houstonians that live on the North side of town, there's a great cajun seafood restaurant right down the street from me. I can get my share of crawfish, oysters, hush puppies, and Pistolet's...and their po-boys are good too. (Mmmm, I'm getting hungry. I might have to go there soon.) It's called Blue Water Seafood off FM 1960, near Champions Dr.
  • Mike in Abita
    Options
    My favorite time of year. Thanks for the update. Good luck getting the Geaux Tiger back.
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    Ive launched my boat at Snoopys at time or two!
  • Big George's BBQ
    Options
    I love those things. I was at a BBQ Comp last year and we had those shipped to my house. People chipped in and had a feast. I missed that to go to my sons Graduation after which I returned for the Comp
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    Was that at 1921? looks like it.

Looks gooooood. yummy. Still lotta work for a little piece of tail.

Reminds me of eating at Fisherman's Market in Longview, TX. Owner was cajun and while I was pinching and sucking heads, lady at table next to me was showing some disgust. Naturally, I played it up and slurpped more noisely.

She called owner to her table and ask him to ask me to leave as I was nauseating her and she could not enjoy her meal because those heads were so nasty. He looked at her and said "lady, dat be the way you eat dem mudbugs. If you don't like the way he be doing it, you be da won to leave." Priceless
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Options
    posted this wrong, should have been under the main topic
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    A friend told me Yardarm was excellent but closed for the next two months. Haven't tried Snoopy's yet - it's on the list. Thanks for the tip.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    It is 1921 - nice catch.

My traveling companion and I are ROTFLOAF at the Fisherman's Market story. I had a similar experience in West Point, MS. The bugs were on the small side but I have had smaller - Christie Martin does a good job boiling them. When they get to about medium size I actually squeeze the bugs, cracking their heads, to create vent holes at the back. Can suck more juice - don't want to create a vacuum.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    On the small side but they were mightyfine.