Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anyone "season" their daisy wheel?

Options
mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After months of lovin' and cookin', my daisy wheel gets stuck between each and every cook. I almost have to put a hammer to it in order to free it up so that it will spin. Should I be adding some sort of oil to prevent this from happening?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mike I do not season. But I put it in the egg when I pull the food out. I keep it in the egg.
    Must add that I bent a brand new Tel-Tru in the small doing this.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You might hit it with a shot of Pam now and then the prevent rust, but that prob wont help the sticking. Sticking is caused by accumulation of crud. Putting it on the hot grid immediately after your cook is done, closing dome and adding ceramic cap should keep it burned free of gunk.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i used to melt the buildup off after using it by putting it in the egg when shutting it down. now i light the egg, get it near temp, put it back onto the dome for a few minutes and it will then move easily with a slight tap. its painted so if you put it in a very hot egg the paint burns off and it will need to be seasoned or repainted or it will rust
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GoonSlapper
    Options
    I do what fishlessman does. I un-stick the daisy wheel at the beginning of each cook. I wait until my BGE gets up to temperature, close the dome, and let the daisy wheel heat up. I then use the tool to remove the grid to open the daisy wheel.
  • Ed on Cape Cod
    Options
    As Mickey says, just put the daisy wheel in the egg (on the grill) after each cook (while the egg is still hot.) Ever since I started doing that (several years now) I haven't had any problems with the daisy wheel getting gunked up.
  • HungryNephew
    Options
    My first one rusted to high heaven so I do rub some oil on mine every few cooks. I might try pan as Ron suggested.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    So many things to learn about the BGE. I will start putting the daisy wheel in the egg after cooks to inhibit gunk build up.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Thanks for the idea. My daisy wheel gets stuck too.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Take note as some of the biggest "Flashbacks" have occured by me forgeting to put the DW inside only to open it a few minutes later (after Egg was shut down) to have a nice display happen. I even know it's going to happen, sometimes I get in in and other times it gets me.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Mike, IMHO no amount of self clean can get rid of the gunk between the layers. Occasionally, especially before smoking cheese, I remove the two Philip screws to scrub the components clean ...

IMG_6846.jpg
    canuckland
  • mojo
    mojo Posts: 220
    Options
    Thanks for all the very helpful replies. I'm surprised this topioc hasn't been raised more often, seems like a pretty common occurence.