Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin Help Please

Options
ArchDeluxe
ArchDeluxe Posts: 31
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking 2 beef tenderloins for a New Year's Eve party Thursday night. The way that I've always seen them prepared is to lather the meet with dijon mustard, koshar salt and fresh ground pepper and grill to a rare to medium rare.

I'm fine with doing it that way, but I'm also looking for a few other suggestions! Also, how should I set up the egg? I was thinking about direct raised grid and then searing at the end. All thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!!! Hope everyone has a wonderful new year! :cheer: :woohoo:

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Here;s a Paula Dean one I tried and liked.

Bourbon Beef Tenderloin*

Prep Time: 1 hour
    Cook Time: 45 minutes
    Yield: 8 to 10 servings

1 part bourbon
    1 c. brown sugar
    2/3 c. soy sauce
    1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
    1/2 c. lemon juice
    1 tbs. Worcestershire sauce
    2 c. water
    3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves chopped
    1 (5 lb.) beef tenderloin, silver connective tissue removed
    Oil, to brush grill

Preheat grill or oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare marinade by combining the bourbon, brown sugar, soy sauce, cilantro, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, water and thyme in a bowl. Make sure the tenderloin
    has been cleaned and the tissues have been removed. Fold the tail end of the beef back underneath itself so that it is of uniform thickness and secure with butcher's string.
    Place meat in a dish and pour marinade over meat, cover and refrigerate for approximately 8 to 12 hours, turning meat over several times.

When grill is ready, place meat on oiled surface and reserve the liquid from the marinade. Cook over high heat with lid closed, turning meat often and occasionally basting
    with the marinade. The tenderloin will cook to rare in approximately 30 to 45 minutes.

Serve with horseradish cream on the side.

*Recipe courtesy of Paula Dean.
    We have used this method very successfully....beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, pork loin, even beef rib roasts etc....and it is always a hit.
    Simply season well with kosher salt and pepper (don't be skimpy) lots of fresh finely minced rosemary, a bunch of minced fresh garlic, then into a zip lock with just enough olive oil to give the meat a shine, then into the fridge overnight. Take out of fridge an hour or two before grilling, grill direct to sear, then raise grid direct to roast (you will have to turn on occaision, even on the raised grid). For med rare, pull at 122* and allow at least a 15 minute rest before carving. (the internal will rise during the rest to 130-132*).
    (ps...knock any big garlic chunks off before grilling so it doesn't fall in the fire and burn....)
    Just my two cents! Happy New Year! :)
  • ArchDeluxe
    Options
    Thanks Little Chef... 2 Questions though. What temp should I roast at? 350? Secondly, about how long should I expect 2 decent sized tenderloins to take?

Thanks again!
  • Whe you say place on raised grill is that an extra piece you have purchased? would the plate setter work to do indirect instead? thanks Scrappy