Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

18lbs of Boston Butt.....I'm going all in.....

Options
SmokinParrotHead
SmokinParrotHead Posts: 532
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This will be my first attempt at a full out, overnight slo-n-low. I picked up two nice looking Boston Butts totaling 18lbs at the butcher shop today, and I am gonna do a low and slow overnight New Years Eve. I have read tons of stuff here about methods/recipes.......but which one(or is their any one in particular) that is the most tried and true, yet simple enough, that I should do?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Great cook,very forgiving.Go with whatever sounds good to YOU!After all it only matters if YOU like it!!! ;)
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I used this link to prepare my first butt...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm

I had great results..

I also followed this method as well
    http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesButt.html

Flip a coin and u can't go wrong either call.... :laugh:
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    Pharmeggist wrote:
    I used this link to prepare my first butt...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/pullpork.htm

I had great results..

I also followed this method as well
    http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesButt.html

Flip a coin and u can't go wrong either call.... :laugh:

I did nakedwhiz too and it went fine. Be sure to stabilize your temp BEFORE you put the meat on, then after you do, DON'T MESS WITH THE SETTINGS. The temp will restore within the hour.

Also, I think trying to get a steady dome temp of 225 is unrealistic and/or way too hard. Shoot for 250 dome (which I could hold easily for the 16 hr cook I did xmas eve) instead.

I suggest taking it off the grill at 200 internal, wrapping foil then towels, and place in a cooler for 30-45 mins before pulling it.

Man, I'm drooling... ;-)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I must concur!Keep a 250 dome temp and the other stuff he said!!! ;) Way smoother! :)
  • Pharmeggist
    Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Great advice!
    250 dome temp is what I am for too.

Sorry I didn't mention that too ;)
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Thanks a bunch guys! I was kinda curious how that 225 thing was gonna go overnight, but I know I can keep Two-Fiddy no prob(knock on wood chunks). Speaking of wood chunks......what should I throw in this one?

Fyi, I changed my handle just now, I had chosen one too close to Toms when I joined last week.
  • SmokinParrotHead
    Options
    Just noticed tonight that a colder weekend is expected here, including some possible wintery mix precip on Thurs night, which is when I am doing my lo and slo butts. Should I be concerned at all or change my method?
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Hi SmokinParrotHead

Pecan is always a good smoke wood for pork if you have it. A lot of people mix apple and cherry. I am a big fan of hickory, maple or oak. It's what ever you prefer.

As far as the weather goes I think your biggest concern will be not catching a cold while checking on the egg. The egg is pretty much impervious to the weather once it is stabilized. LOL, that's easy for me to say, I live in Southwest Florida. You should be fine, just dress warm. I know the egg will cook in a lot worse weather then I will. :cheer:

Good luck and have a very Happy New Years,

Gator

• Smokin Tiger
    Options
    SmokinParrotHead,

Man, you have been cooking up a storm this week! I agree with all the others on 250 dome. You may want to get up a few times during the night for the first overnighter to check the egg temp. I have never had a fire go out, but I have had to wiggle the fire grate a little to get the air flowing and temp back up. I have used the corner of my ash tool for this, but some people use a purpose made wiggle stick for this.

Post pictures and let us know how it turns out.
  • Smoking Coles
    Options
    Just my 2cents, but make sure you fill up the firebox and ring with lump to ensure you've got enough fuel for a 20hour or so cook. The wiggle stick idea mentioned above is good advice, but I wouldn't mess with the with the grate unless your temp begins to fall. My wiggle stick is just a metal coat hanger that I staightened out and bent the last 2 or 3 inches up at a 90 degree angle. Good luck, and when you pull off the cook, it will be a great feeling.
  • Dan in StL
    Options
    Amen to what Hoss says about butts being a very forgiving cook. On my first butt cook I did not totally clean out the firebox and build a fresh one by hand. As a result I had some low temp problems that put me into a panic. But it just didn't matter - it turned out great anyway.

Along those lines, I would strongly recommend building your lump "by hand." I may be too anal about this, but if I'm doing an over-nighter, I set up the firebox by placing the largest pieces of lump on the bottom, followed by large and medium as you work your way up. Using the wiggle stick is another way to make sure you get good flow. But if you build it right to begin with, you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Good luck on your cook. I'll be doing a brisket (only my second one) on New Years Eve too.
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I have cooked butts overnight when outside temps hovered around -20, the egg doesn't know any difference. Fill the lump up to the top, make sure it is buring clean (smell) before you place the meat in, and check periodically (2-3 hours) throughout the night to ensure your fire didn't go out.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    This one has cooked over a ton of pork this year..

Pulled Pork[/url

Elder Wards Method is good too
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    I've done it both ways - stacking and just pouring lump in - and it's come out well both ways.

My recommendations:

* Rub up the butts a few hours ahead
    * Keep the temp 250-275*
    * Biggest factor IMHO: Cook to 200* internal and then wrap in foil/towels for a rest in a cooler for a minimum of an hour or two. I find this is the biggest difference between good pulled pork and great pulled pork.