Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

costco spare ribs

simpson_ehsimpson_eh Posts: 22
edited 7:17AM in EggHead Forum
Last time I did spare ribs I got them from Albertson's and I used the 3-1-1 method and they came out perfect. Today I was at costco and I noticed they have spare ribs for a very good price, but It's a much thicker rack (about twice as thick). So I was wondering if any of you have made these huge racks of ribs and what kind of timing you use because it doesn't look like 3-1-1 is gonna cut it.
·

Comments

• NoVA BillNoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    You'll probably get many replies.

For my part I buy Costco spares but I don't use the 3-1-1 method. My family prefers a no sauce, salt & pepper lo-n-slo for sometimes up to 7 hours. Last time I added SBR's for the last 30 minutes and they were the best ribs I ever made. Finally I started trimming out the spares per thirdeye's method on his site - a nice improvement on the cook and presentation.

Good luck!
    ·
  • ChuckChuck Posts: 812
    You do know that there are 2 racks in a package right? I always found them to be about the same as everyplace else I get them but maybe I have been lucky.

Chuck
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    I get all my ribs from Costco and trim them St. Louis style and make the tips into sausage. 3-1-1 will work well with the racks, but don't just go by time! The key is to make sure they are tender before unfoiling.

reebs.jpg

Cheers!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • I've cooked their ribs too.
    I've done 3-2-1 method.
    The racks are large and frequently I have them curled up to cook them on my Large BGE.
    ·
  • chronochrono Posts: 177
    Costco spares are the best around my parts. I usually do low and slow for 5+ hours then wrap them in foil for 45 minutes or so to get them really tender.

4156613592_31f394b929.jpg
    ·
  • No I didn't know there were two in the pack. I just thought they were super thick. That should answer my question then. Thanks!
    ·