Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Maintenance, Upkeep & Repair

Eggtucky
Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone got a good link to detailed information about proper maintenance and upkeep of the BGE? Specifically I am looking to resolve a problem I have with the spring/hinge assembly on my small egg. Lid won't close completely. I disassembled all of this and reassembled a few months back when had this problem and seemed to fix it, but it has returned...I am not a newb, so I have all of the common BGE links, but I really havent come upon anything that explains how this assembly operates and how it should be properly assembled/adjusted. Help appreciated.
SmallLid005.jpg
SmallLid006.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    If you loosen all the hinge nuts will it close then?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I would send this exact post to the mothership :angry:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL :)
  • Eggtucky
    Havent tried that. Last time I just removed the lid from the band and worked the hinge a few times and it sort of 'snapped' into place. Obviously something is not adjusted right, but good accurate adjustment information for the egg seems to be somewhat hard to come by. I'll try that when the weather gets a bit warmer :blink: :pinch:
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Hey Mr. Tucky,from the pics,it looks(to me)like the bands need some serious adjustments.I hope they're not bent,but look at the pics......

1st pic)There is a gap between the bottom band and the lip on the base of the egg

2nd)There is a gap between the top band and the lip on the dome

I would loosen the(2)band bolts,then push the bottom band all the way down against the lip and tighten(really tight).Then make sure that the top band is all the way up against the dome and then tighten.Hopefully you don't have a bent band :)
  • Eggtucky
    'sup Doug, good observation. Dunno how the band would have gotten bent, but I'll try the adjustments you suggest..possible I bent them when I reinstalled a new dome when my original one came loose and got broke a year or so ago... :blink: :angry:
    DinoStuffedChops004.jpg

Having the above happen might tend to cause some 'overtighetening' if you know what I mean ;)
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    DOH!!!! :pinch: I still remember that pic like it was yesterday :ohmy: I hate to see a poor dome suffer like that :P Good luck man,and keep us posted ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Hope you can remedy that!!
    A good link to yearly things to do to you eggs would be greatly appreciated by old and new eggers alike, I'm sure!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    are you getting bolts tight enough? should be bent. If not, then expect a repeat of this picture and top not staying aligned with bottom. Bands should be equal distance around circumference between band and lip.. Hard to over tighten bolts but they SHOULD bend
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    After looking at picture again, top bolt looks straight

Straight = too loose