Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever have Akaushi beef?

MarkClark
MarkClark Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A local, higher-end grocery store chain in Minneapolis/St. Paul has just started selling Akaushi beef in their meat department.

Has anyone ever had it? It's the American version of Japanese Wagyu, but at $43/pound it's not something I really want to go out and buy without having at least a little feedback on first.

The marbling looks downright fantastic, though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akaushi

new-york-strip-steak.jpg

Comments

• What store is this in mpls? If you want to try waygu beef without the price and fanciness of a steak, go to Coastal Seafood. They have locations in Mpls and StPaul. $11.99 for 2 lbs of ground "kobe" and it makes the best hamburger you have ever tasted. Or go on mondays and its 20% off all kobe beef. They also have kobe steaks for big buck$. Seafood is amazing too!
  • They're selling the akaushi at (I think) all the Kowalski's locations. I've been to Coastal Seafood a couple of times (they do have really good seafood)but never noticed that they had any steak for sale there.

Granted, last time I was there it was when I was still grilling on the Weber and I wasn't as obsessed with actually paying attention to the different grades of meat available. No sense buying good stuff if you don't have the tools to properly cook it in the first place.
  • Impressive marbleing...send me one and I will let you know who good it was. :cheer:
  • Depending on what shipping method I use it might have some nice dry-aging to it, too.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Mark...Though the pic looks fantastic, this appears to be another 'branding' name for selective breeding, similar to CAB (Certified Angus Beef) and Wagyu.... True Kobe is penned....force fed and massaged for stimulation. (rumor is the beer they are fed is to help make the Cow hungry for more food...generating more fat.)
    This particular US breeder may have a superior product, but again, it sounds like a great marketing attempt, which sounds a whole lot better than "Genetically Selective Breeding". Just my two cents!! :whistle: If you take the plunge, let us know the result. B)