Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hot and Fast brisket????

Options
PlanoPokes79
PlanoPokes79 Posts: 207
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody ever do this, cook a packer 12-13 lber in 5 hours and in a cooler for an hr?? Have done several pork butts this way and works great, just wondered about a brisket. 350* for 3 hrs, wrap in foil for for 2 hrs or until 200* internal and then an hr in a warm cooler....overnight cooks are over rated IMHO..

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Options
    I've heard of brisket done this way before. I have also done fast butts with success. I think your final temp is the key. As long as you hit your desired temp, you should be OK.

And you are right, overnight cooks are fun to talk about and they are great if you have a guru. If you are up 3-4 times each night it can get old.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    taste and texture are a little different, old dave has a good writeup to get you started. its good but its not quite the same, injectinng it might make it more like brisket overall
    use alot of smoking wood, i skipped the oak chunks and split some from the log pile
    http://olddavespo-farm.blogspot.com/search/label/Brisket

DSC_0425.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Looks great! the smoke flavor/ring was my biggest concern, just putting in lots of smoke wood should help that, since the first couple hrs are when the meat absorbs the flavor/smoke anyway.Thanks
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    I also am concerned about the thin end of the flat getting too done and being tough, may put some foil under just that area to help that. Thanks.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    the smoke ring forms til the meat hits 140 degrees about. you really need a lot of smoking wood with the quick cook, i got a really good smoke ring with the cook, as for flavor, meat picks up smoke flavor all the time its in the cooker and there is smoke present, theres lots of misinfo on the web on that ;)
    fukahwee maine

• Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    I thought you hung out with Bobby and Charlie and saw them do that. We still go slow, checking about every hour. Still don't use a Guru. $9 timer around my neck set for an hour. Get up check everything, sometimes make a social round, reset timer, and back to sleep. After cooking with me for five years my wife still can,t understand why I do this either. Sometimes I wonder myself. i have a goru that I used Once.

Happy Holidays,
    Poppasam
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    I have done them hot for about 4 years. In the Egg, the method I like best is starting off at 200°, then ramping up to 325°after a couple of hours. They get pulled off and foiled when they are in the 190°'s and I do a long rest (the first hour or two they are technically still cooking). See my brisket page for the full hot-n-fast details.

To make the smoke ring pop, put a couple of briquettes on your lump when you start the fire.... they have more nitrates than lump does. Or, sprinkle the side opposite the fat cap with Tenderquick for 15 minutes, rinse it well, rest back in the fridge for 1 hour, season and barbecue as normal.

DSC08343a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I guess the social aspect of walking around a contest is a whole new topic. I saw Myron teach the fast method at the class earlier this year. He did not specifically do a brisket there, but he spoke briefly about it.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You could stick some foil under the end of the flat. You could also tuck it over one arm of a platesetter toward the front of the egg.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Love that smoke ring picture.

GG
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Do like that smoke ring!!! Thought of going slow in the first couple of hrs and then heating up, just may extend the time a hr or two....still better than 15 or 16 hrs...Thanks
  • fishlessman
    Options
    as odd as this may sound, i find the longer cooks less work than the faster ones, way less effort and it fits my schedule better. in the summer ill get to camp at 7, drink some beers and light the egg at 8, prep the brisket, drink some more, into the egg at 10, watch things til 11, sleep til 4, load the boat and check the egg, fish till 11/12, come home and check brisket, maybe get a couple hours hammock time. with the faster cook im there watching, wrapping, etc ;) i like the low and slw brisket better, but do cook hot and fast when needed and newengland guests dont know any better about brisket so its all good. :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• PlanoPokes79
    Options
    I agree, don't mind the low and slow, just nice to know you can go fast when the need is there.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I have never cooked a packer, but many flats.

Mike
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I routinely do overnight cooks sans Guru and get plenty of sleep, rarely if ever getting up to check.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Mike,

I can't seem to get a packer around here without going to a butcher. I've got a flat in the fridge right now, awaiting my climb back onto the brisket horse after my disaster some time back. Some questions:

* Do you cook a flat at ~225*, like a packer?
    * Should I still count on about 2 hours per pound?
    * At what point, if any, do you foil the flat and finish that way?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I start the flat at about 250, for 2 hours. Get the temp up to 300 and foil with beef broth and onions for about 2 more. Check the temp. Then finish unfoiled. My flats usually run around 6-7 lbs.

Mike
  • Woody69
    Woody69 Posts: 360
    Options
    Bacchus wrote:
    I routinely do overnight cooks sans Guru and get plenty of sleep, rarely if ever getting up to check.

I do too. I have never had a problem with an overnight cook. Maybe I have been lucky ?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Do you have a hot and fast butt recipe?

Mike
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I am just paranoid and have to get up and check the meat without the guru. The only time I lost a fire was with the old pitminder and using my small egg. The holes got clogged with ash and wouldn't allow air through. I woke up to a 140* egg and the fan just blowing away.
  • Jeffersonian
    Options
    Thanks, Mike. Pat sent me his recipe and it sounds kinda similar, but I can't seem to find it right now. I'll try it this way.

Do you put on a rub?
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    I coat mine in rub and white sugar overnite. Drain off the excess sugar, dry and add more rub.
    Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Not really. If I cook 275° or lower, I still start off real low for a couple of hours then ramp the temp up.

The few times I tried them at 325 or higher, I noticed the first couple were sort of greasy. I trimmed the fat much closer on the others I tried and liked them much better.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    If you can get into Restaurant Depot they have packers.
  • Poppasam
    Poppasam Posts: 440
    Options
    The only problem now is all you see are little red lights and old school cookers with stick burners. A few years back it was a party all night long. I think Mr.Myron was the one that innovated the fast cook and he does show that at his schools. It truly will mess with someone's mind that has never seen it done at a contest when they show up at about five in the morning to get things going.

Poppasam
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    I have never had a problem with overnight cooks either, just was looking for a quicker way when time does not allow an overnighter. Thanks to all.