Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

anyone make their own moonshine/whiskey etc?

Options
ranger ray
ranger ray Posts: 812
edited November -1 in Off Topic
a friend of mine has an old still that was her grandad's.... she wants me to have it, cause she knows what a hard core DIY kinda guy i am..( i was a shop teacher for ten years..before taking the natural progression into law enforcement)....lol..... i have made some homemade wine in the past( some good.... some horrific!).... i was hoping to tap into the huge resource of info that fellow eggers possess... any help you folks can provide would be of tremendous help.... thanks! ray

Comments

• milesofsmiles
    Options
    Just don't sell it unless you plan on paying the FEDS taxes. :( :( Untaxed white lightnen is a no no to them. My FIL was a Fed. probation dude. Had lots of shiners to call on. Gramps, sons & grandsons. Smiles to you. :):)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I've brewed beer and ventured into making dandilion wine...once.. haha.. aweful stuff but potent!! :laugh:
    Keep me posted on this venture. Way cool!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • DrugCoder
    Options
    I do beer a lot and venture into wine every once in a while, but nothing more than that. Interested to see what kind of responses you get though....
  • it's also illegal. lots of things are, and we do them anyway :laugh:

home made beer and wine can't kill you. nothing harmful can survive in them.

but homemade alcohol can go wrong (not bacterially, but chemically).
    it's illegal for that reason, plus of course the tax issue...
  • There is no telling what was used to construct an old still. Majority used good copper but the solder is of doubtful origin. What does it look like?